Worle reach quarter-final after derby victory

PUBLISHED: 09:22 09 November 2018 | UPDATED: 09:22 09 November 2018

Worle AFC v Cheddar Res.   


Worle AFC v Cheddar Res. Picture: MARK ATHERTON


Worle reached the quarter-finals of the Somerset County Cup after a hard-fought victory over Cheddar Reserves.

Worle 1

Cheddar Res 0

Worle progressed through to the quarter-finals of the Somerset County Cup at the expense of a good Cheddar Reserves team.

The game was void of chances in the first 45 minutes and it was a battle of the midfield and defences that kept chances to a minimum.

Worle had numerous changes to their starting line-up with Ben Wilson unavailable, Callum Mcmanus suspended and captain Barry Flynn injured.

After 10 minutes the home side’s cause was not helped when centre forward Ryan Down picked up a reoccurrence of a thigh injury, with Mike Hansford taking his place off the bench.

The second half was a different affair and Worle took the lead when top scorer Chris Taylor broke through and made no mistake, beating Webster in the Cheddar goal.

Cheddar threw caution to the wind and in fairness dominated the final 15 minutes and only good goalkeeping and the post kept Worle in the lead and into the draw for the next round.

Credit goes to Cheddar for the way they approached the game, but Worle know they will have to play better when they visit Nailsea & Tickenham on Saturday (2.30pm).

Man of the match for Worle goes to new signing Mike Dangerfield in the Worle goal.

Wells City Res 2

Yatton and Cleeve United 6

This was a comfortable win for Yatton who controlled the game throughout.

The first goal came in the 12th minute, Joshua Gibbs’ through ball finding Kofi Martin, who was brought down and James Bird dispatched the resultant spot kick.

Fifteen minutes later the visitors doubled their advantage, Alexander Bird latching onto an inch-perfect Gibbs pass to round the keeper and slot the ball home.

Two became three on the stroke of half time, Joseph Hance picking out Martin, who drilled the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

Five minutes in to the second half, Wells pulled a goal back, Joshua Morris taking advantage of some sleepy defending to score, but a power header from James Copeland restored United’s three goal cushion.

Veteran Simon Tarr came off the bench to get in on the attack on 67 minutes, firing in United’s fifth and Bird made it six, driving home from the edge of the box on 87 minutes.

Wells did reduce the arrears just before the final whistle, Tom Fozzard crashing the ball home, but it was too little, too late.

The man of the match award, kindly sponsored by the Woodspring Public House of Worle High Street, went to Kofi Martin.

On Saturday, Yatton and Cleeve United travel to Saltford (2.30pm) in the second round of The Uhlsport Somerset County League’s Premier Division and Division 1 Cup.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists