Worle suffer back-to-back league defeats

PUBLISHED: 09:20 02 November 2018 | UPDATED: 09:20 02 November 2018




Worle suffered back-to-back defeats for the first time in three years after losing to Clevedon United.

Worle 0

Clevedon United 2

Worle lost back-to-back league games for the first time since 2015, but still lie in third position in the Somerset Premier League.

Worle were forced into three changes in forward positions due to suspensions for top scorer Chris Taylor and midfielder Callum Mcmanus and an injury to forward Ryan Downs.

Worle welcomed new signing Michael Dangerfield in goal and moved Jack Hodrien to play centre-forward alongside Ryan Hodrien, but chances were limited for the home side.

The first half was a poor spectacle from both teams, although Clevedon looked the more likely to break the deadlock.

In the second half Worle started brightly, but from a breakaway it was Clevedon who took the lead.

Worle brought on Frazier Rendall to play up front, but within five minutes a lapse in the defence doubled Clevedon’s lead through Mike Purnell.

Worle should have reduced the deficit when Dunn in the away goal parried an effort against the bar and seemed to go over the line only to be cleared.

Pressure was beginning to mount with Clevedon now camped in their own 18-yard box, but with time running out the home side could not find a breakthrough.

Worle now turn their attentions to the Somerset County Cup and welcome Cheddar Reserves to the Recreation Ground in a 2pm kick-off and should have both Taylor and Down returning.

Uphill Castle 2

Winscombe 2

One minute of madness cost Winscombe three points on a wet afternoon in Berrow.

Winscombe currently sitting second were looking to build on their good form against an Uphill side who have endured a slow start to their league campaign.

The first half was one for the purist with Winscombe and Uphill cancelling each other out and neither creating a clear cut opportunity.

Winscombe pushed on in the second half and deservedly took the lead through Griffiths who poked home from a tight angle.

The pressure continued and Winscombe were awarded a penalty after a clumsy tackle from the Uphill centre-half on Newman. Cureton stepped up and fired it into the bottom corner for 2-0.

The game seemed won and Winscombe were unlucky not to be further ahead when Dancer missed from close range.

Entering injury time and Uphill striker Beresford lifted a hopeful cross into the box, which with the help of the wind outfoxed everyone and floated into the top corner.

Winscombe immediately gave the ball away from kick-off and Uphill punished Winscombe, a low cross finished by substitute Merryweather for a share of the points.

Wrington Redhill 1

Nailsea & Tickenham 2

Wrington Redhill’s larger than life ex-manager Alan Smith brought his Nailsea & Tickenham team to the Rec for this eagerly awaited tie.

Two of his team and all of his dug-out staff were also ex-Wrington to add some spice to the match.

The visitors started well and forced a couple of smart saves from keeper Hill. Things went wrong early on for Wrington Redhill when a Tyler Ashmead corner found Jack Last on the far post and he forced the ball over the line.

Much of the rest of the 1st half was contested in midfield with Leigh White, Chris Bradley and Mike Rowcliffe working their socks of to keep Wrington Redhill in the game.

Five minutes before the break the ball fell to Rowcliffe inside the visitors’ box, but he pulled his shot inches wide.

The second half started in much the same way with Holland and Briggs working hard to keep the defenders busy.

On the hour Holland was tripped just outside of the box and Ollie Clements stepped forward to crash his free kick in off the post.

The winner came just seven minutes later and was hotly disputed. A Nailsea corner was flicked on at the near post and bundled over the line at the back.

Going behind for a second time seemed to spur the hosts on with Ethan Johnson and Rory Thomas linking up well, but their array of crosses were dealt with by the Nailsea & Tickenham back line.

Yatton and Cleeve Utd 4

Minehead 2

This was a good victory for Yatton over Minehead on a glue pot surface at the King George V Playing Fields.

The visitors started brightly, but it was Cleeve who went ahead, Barry Hereford setting up Kevin Thompson, who fired home past Kyran Wilkins.

Michael Graddon’s header was then pushed on to the post by home stopper Emrullah Kahya and Luke Bloys somehow put the rebound wide from close range.

Yatton doubled their advantage shortly before half time, Sean Burke was sent tumbling in the box and Mark Henry converted the spot kick.

After the break, Graddon managed to reduce the deficit and substitute George Sinnott brought Minehead level with a fine shot.

Yatton went back in front on 81 minutes, Peter Archbold crossing for teenage substitute Joshua Carpenter to carve out a goal to mark his debut. Deep into time added on James Bird, in another breakaway, raced clear to net the fourth.

The man of the match award, kindly sponsored by McDonalds Somerset, went to Emrullah Kahya.

On Saturday, Yatton and Cleeve United travel to Wells City Reserves (3pm) in Division 1 of the Uhlsport Somerset County League.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists