Wrington Redhill held in local derby

PUBLISHED: 09:33 27 April 2018 | UPDATED: 09:33 27 April 2018

Footie. Ref miscsp 43-17TI 2278. Picture: Terry Ife

Footie. Ref miscsp 43-17TI 2278. Picture: Terry Ife


Wrington Redhill were held to a draw at home to Nailsea United, their fifth game in just 10 days.

Wrington Redhill 1

Nailsea United 1

This was Wrington Redhill’s fifth game in 10 days and tired legs and limbs were evident as the game progressed.

Good fortune came to the home side as Leigh White played a long ball over the defence to Jake Horton whose effort was parried by the keeper, but Sam Clark was on hand to slot the ball home for a 1-0 lead.

For the rest of the half play flowed each way with most chances coming from free kicks and corners dealt with by Ethan Johnson and Dutch Holland in defence with Matt Hill clearing up.

George Martin made some good runs, while Chris Bradley and Adam Caulfield battled hard in the central midfield area.

After the break, Nailsea’s Luke Penberthy raced through to connect with a long ball which eluded the home defence to make it 1-1. This setback and with energy levels reducing, the home team had to dig deep to hold onto a valuable league point.

Bill Gough man of the match was awarded to Leigh White.

Winscombe Res 1

Cheddar Res 0

Winscombe Reserves continued their fine end of season form by beating a strong Cheddar side 1-0.

Played in very hot conditions and being a local derby, the tackles were fair, hard and determined. Playing with a much changed side due to first team call-ups, Winscombe started well.

The back four of Bailey, Tinknell, Norris and Horwood kept a tight rein in front of returning keeper Murray. Midfielders Milton and Heal were controlling the middle, allowing Gorman and Couling time, with Smith and Brown up front making life hard for the centre halves.

Winscombe scored the only goal of the game through Milton not long after Cheddar had the ball in the net only for it to be disallowed by referee Mandy Kerfoot, who had an excellent game.

The Winscombe subs of Griffiths Mason and Clothier all put in telling contributions, but the game ended on a sour note with the news that 16-year-old Joe Couling suffered a broken leg.

The Winscombe team and staff plus the Cheddar players wish Joe a speedy recovery. Spartan Motor Factors man of the match was yet again the whole team.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists