Former European Tour star wins at Burnham & Berrow
Former French Open champion John Bickerton finished top of the leaderboard at Burnham & Berrow’s annual pro-am event.
FORMER European Tour star John Bickerton and ex-Ryder Cup player Phil Price finished top of the leaderboard at Burnham & Berrow Golf Club in the annual pro-am.
Former French Open champion Bickerton, who is now based at Minehead, took the honours with a five under par 66. After picking up three birdies and a dropped shot at the par three ninth hole, he reached the turn in two under.
A solid back nine which included three more birdies gave him a one-shot victory over Phil Price and Ed Goodwin from Cirencester.
Price, who famously beat Phil Mickelson in the 2002 Ryder Cup at The Belfry, has played more frequently this past year in the West Region PGA after 20 years on the European Tour. Ed Goodwin from Cirencester Golf Club finished one behind after a bogey-free 67.
You may also want to watch:
Burnham & Berrow Golf Club bar manager Jack Palmer showed that he has more to his talents than just pulling a good pint after winning one of Burnham & Berrow’s premier fixtures, the JH Taylor Gold Medal, following gross scores of 72 and 69, two ahead of Jonathan Pitcher who finished second with rounds of 73 and 70.
Palmer’s first round score of 72 was the best of the day, and gave him the overnight lead ahead of Pitcher (73) and four ahead of Somerset captain Justin Lane and Ron Schroeder who were both around in 76.
- 1 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers
- 2 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 3 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 4 End of busy summer with more events to look forward to
- 5 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 6 FA Cup: Weston AFC cruise past Taunton Town to reach third qualifying round
- 7 Weston chosen as a ‘priority place’ in bid to transform the country through culture
- 8 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 9 Proposal for 96 new homes in Cheddar
- 10 CCTV appeal after man seriously assaulted in Weston
Palmer extended his lead on the second day racing to the turn in a two under par 34 to Pitchers’ 37. Following a birdie at the 11th, Palmer found himself five ahead of playing partner Pitcher.
Pitcher hit back with a birdie at the 12th and following a bogey four at the short 14th from Palmer, the deficit was reduced to three shots. Another birdie from Pitcher at the 16th kept his hopes alive, but two pars from Palmer closed out Pitcher and gave Palmer his first victory in the 36-hole scratch event.
Scores - pro-am: J Bickerton (Minehead) 66; P Price (Unattached) 67; E Goodwin (Cirencester) 67; T Jessamine (Woodbury Park) 70.
JH Taylor Gold Medal: J Palmer 72 + 69 = 141; J Pitcher 73 + 70 = 140; J Lane 76 + 74 = 150; W Crandon 77 + 78 = 145.