Four gold medals for gymnasts
- Credit: Archant
Four members of J21 Gymnastics Club brought home gold medals and trophies from a competition in Bath.
J21 GYMNASTICS Club, based in Warne Road, Weston, entered 10 gymnasts into the Withy King Cup Championships in Bath.
All the gymnasts performed consistently well throughout the competition, bringing home 26 medals and four trophies. The fantastic result is a reflection of the hard work and dedication the girls put into their training in the gym.
The competition started with Evangeline Wigmore, Mercina Markoutsas and Holly James in the 2007 competition, Jasmine Old and Kate Milne in the 2008. Evangeline took gold on both floor and vault, leading to her taking the overall gold medal and trophy.
Team-mate Holly took the silver on trampette and the bronze on floor, placing her third overall.
You may also want to watch:
Jasmine and Kate both showed high levels of consistency over all apparatus, Kate was second on all three apparatus and overall, with Jasmine taking gold on all three and overall claiming the second trophy of the day.
This was Jasmine’s first experience of competition outside of the club, so it was fantastic to see her perform with such confidence.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 4 Appeal for Christmas gifts for elderly and isolated
- 5 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 6 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 7 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 8 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 9 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
Emily Murphy and Isabelle Gray were next to represent the club in the under-9 and under-12 competitions. Both gymnasts winning gold on floor and vault, Emily was also placed second on trampette and Isobelle third.
They continued the day’s success by both winning the overall gold medals and bringing home two more trophies.
The final competition of the day saw Sophie Daniel, Caitlin Rickard and Rhiannon Love all competing in the advanced levels. Sophie took the gold medal on the floor, winning overall second place in the over-12s.
Rhiannon took the gold on vault ahead of team-mate Caitlin, who also won bronze on the trampette.
Representing the club at the Somerset Championships in Wiltshire at the end of this month is Sophie Daniel, Dorothy Green and Lottie Anderson, who have all recently competed for Somerset at the Sapphire Invitational competition in Hemel Hempstead.
The club was taken over by new management just over three years ago and is growing from strength to strength. Gymnast numbers have doubled, as well as welcoming new coaches to the team.
The club has classes for all ages and abilities running every night after school, as well as Saturday classes and pre-school sessions every Tuesday and Thursday morning.