Four teams flying the flag for Weston
Four teams will be flying the flag for Weston when they represent the town in the Blackthorn British Skittles championships.
NO less than four teams will be flying the flag for Weston when they represent the town in the Blackthorn British Skittles championships and another team could be joining them if they win their qualifying heat.
In the men’s competition, the Skimmers from the Bull’s Head and St John Rent Boys from Weston St John Football Club have made it to the final, along with the AKA Angels from the Working Men’s Club in the ladies’ finals and the Hornets of Hornets Rugby Club are definitely through in the mixed competition.
Weston St John team will be anxious to get their hands on the trophy they won in 2009. The AKA Angels’ best performance to date has been as semi-finalists three years ago, while the Hornets are first time qualifiers.
Meanwhile the new kids on the block are the St John Rent Boys, entering the competition for the first time and reaching the finals.
You may also want to watch:
Anxiously awaiting their final qualifying game are the Weston Super Nightmares, hoping to make it five Weston teams in the finals. It would be their first outing in the finals if they win.
In total 64 teams from Cornwall to Coventry have qualified for the Blackthorn finals which take place on September 22 at the Riviera International Conference Centre, Torquay, organised by the Shoot Out Club.
- 1 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers
- 2 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 3 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 4 End of busy summer with more events to look forward to
- 5 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 6 FA Cup: Weston AFC cruise past Taunton Town to reach third qualifying round
- 7 Weston chosen as a ‘priority place’ in bid to transform the country through culture
- 8 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 9 Proposal for 96 new homes in Cheddar
- 10 CCTV appeal after man seriously assaulted in Weston
Registration for next year’s event has already opened. Teams can apply by calling 01803 210210 or visiting www.shootoutclub.co.uk
CHURCHILL Skittle and Social Club are celebrating their 75th anniversary this year and to mark the occasion are holding a celebration evening at Churchill Memorial Hall on September 22 at 7.30pm.
There will be entertainment by Pete McKenzie, a bar and hog roast. Anyone wishing to purchase tickets at �7.50 (including hog roast) should contact the secretary on 01934 852045.