Free scoring Langford demolish Bishops Lydeard

Langford Rovers defeated Bishops Lydeard 7-2 in the Somerset County Cup.

Langford Rovers 7

Bishops Lydeard 2

ROVERS continued their free scoring form with the demolition of Bishops Lydeard to reach the next round of the Somerset Cup.

In truth, the scoreline was slightly flattering, made from a flurry of clinical finishes in the last 20 minutes.

You may also want to watch:

It was the visitors who took the lead on 20 minutes, driving home a header from a corner. Rovers immediately bounced back, Ryan Havard finishing virtually straight from the kick-off.

The game was nip and tuck until half-time, with honours even at that point.

Most Read

Rovers assumed the lead for the first time through Aaron Blakemore, then doubled their lead soon afterwards through Havard after fine work by Leigh White and Joe Ellis.

Rovers then went goal crazy. Blakemore added a fourth after a neat exchange with the impressive Callum McManus, before Havard secured his hat-trick. The visitors pulled back a consolation before McManus scored a superb sixth after a 40 yard pass from White. Blakemore capped off a fine display and secured his hat-trick near the end.

Rovers visit the same team on Saturday in the league

Winscombe 2

Congresbury 3

WINSCOMBE entertained Congresbury in the first round of the Somerset Cup and came away wondering how they lost.

Playing up the slope in the first half, they bossed the first 20 minutes, but gave away a penalty which Congresbury converted. This seemed to send Winscombe to sleep as Bury scored twice more.

Just before half-time, Winscombe scored from a free kick taken by Kerry Sleeman, which Simon Willis and their centre-half both got touches on.

The second half was one-way traffic as Winscombe came out determined to have a go. They hit both posts and crossbar plus the keeper pulled off some telling saves.

Ashley Mason pulled one back with 10 minutes left, but Congresbury managed to hold on.

The visitors should have scored a fourth. With Winscombe pushing forward, the centre-forward rounded the keeper but Tim Stoves made a great tackle.

Winscombe AFC would like to wish ex-player Neil Andow a speedy recovery from his broken leg sustained on Saturday.

Weston St Johns Res 4

Ashton & Backwell Res 3

SAINTS recorded their first win of the season with a hard-fought victory over Ashton & Backwell.

Saints started brightly and took the lead after a Ashton player handled in the box and Troy Hayes made no mistake from the spot. Saints doubled their lead when Nick Jones scored direct from a corner.

Saints’ back four of Whittaker, Winter, Jones and debutant Jason Young protected goalkeeper Mike Lowe’s goal well until Ashton scrambled a goal.

After the break, a Mike Winter tackle in the box was given as a penalty and to make matters worse, he was sent off, but Lowe saved the resulting penalty.

The midfield of Lee Whittaker, Tom Patrick and Troy Hayes worked tirelessly to keep Saints in front, but a defensive mistake gifted Ashton the equaliser.

Saints replied straight away when Jones’ pin-point cross was headed home by Rob Winter. Ashton got a lucky break when a clearance bounced of an Ashton player and go into the net.

In the last minute, a long ball was pumped into the Ashton box and Hayes volleyed home from 25 yards to win the game.

M&S man of the match was given to Troy Hayes.

Clutton 1

Wrington-Redhill 2

WRINGTON-Redhill travelled to Clutton and brought back all three points.

The visitors started in determined fashion and it was no surprise that on 20 minutes the lively Graham Cheeseman latched onto a loose ball in the Clutton area and fired home emphatically.

The visitors continued and after much pressure, Burchill’s measured corner was headed home powerfully by the dynamic Cheeseman on the half hour.

The remainder of the half was dominated by Clutton who deservedly pulled a goal back after the initial shot had been well saved by keeper Faadi Saade.

The second period was dominated by Clutton who poured forward and had it not been for Saade in Wrington’s goal, the final result would have been a lot different as Wrington hung on to collect three valuable away points.

Man of the match chosen by WRFC Playing Surface and Stadium director Trevor Cleeves was Faadi Saade.

Winscombe 2


CONGRESBURY progressed to the next round of the cup with a comfortable win over a battling Winscombe side.

Congresbury started the brighter with Ross Stockhall causing the Winscombe defenders problems with his pace. The first goal came from the penalty spot when Stockhall was brought down and he gave the keeper no chance with the spot kick.

Congresbury defenders Ollie Clements, Alex Read, Sam Clements and Dan Pepworth were in fine form snuffing out Winscombe attacks. Stockhall made the score 2-0 with a blistering strike from just inside the penalty area.

Keeper Danny Bullock was forced to make a couple of good saves as Winscombe tried to get back into the game. A good move involving Danny Sprague, Seb Williams and Si Hewish made the score 3-0 with another stunning finish.

Right on half-time, Winscombe got back in the game when Congresburys defenders got themselves in a mess and the ball flew into the net off Sam Clements.

In the second-half, Congresbury were restricted to counter-attacks with Stockhall, Liam Collins and Rob Harraway leading the way, but they couldn’t increase their lead.

Moe Lister and Harry Matthews worked hard in midfield to contain the Winscombe attack, but they couldn’t prevent them making the score 3-2 following a free-kick. Player of the match was Ross Stockhall.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus