Friendly derby win for Winscombe
Winscombe took on neighbours Cheddar in a pre-season friendly and came away with a victory.
Winscombe 14 pts
Cheddar 5 pts
WINSCOMBE took on Cheddar in a trial match and came away with a 14-5 victory.
In the first quarter, Winscombe played their strongest side led by Adam Scrase. The only score score came when Will Thomas set up a ruck. Good work by Lewis Podpadec, Jim Rutherford and Owen Howell set up Callum Stewart to score under the posts, converted by Steve Pugh.
You may also want to watch:
Winscombe brought on 13 other players for the second and third quarters and the Cheddar’s forwards with their Queenslander coach now on the field began to take control in the loose.
A quickly-taken penalty took them over the line after 33 minutes to reduce the deficit.
- 1 Doctor resigns from Weston General Hospital's A&E department
- 2 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 3 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 4 Christmas panto cancelled due to tier three restrictions
- 5 Mural nears completion in Weston
- 6 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 7 Lockdown chef launches cook-along YouTube channel
- 8 Weston shop offering personalised fudge gift boxes
- 9 Weston College principal receives award on BBC television show
- 10 Which services will be open and closed during tier three in North Somerset?
A Cheddar throw-in was stolen by Ware and Matt Hoy-Green moved the ball quickly to Howell almost on his own line.
His pass to Stewart took play up to halfway from where Kane Hawkins ran in under posts for a try converted by Pugh.
Winscombe reverted to almost their starting 15 for the final quarter, resulting in a change to the pattern of the game as they reasserted their dominance at the scrummage.
The club is looking for more players. Come to training on Tuesdays or Thursday at 7.30pm or contact Dan on 07894 107755 or Owen on 07703 793937.