Hornettes ladies travelled to Gordano for a friendly fixture and came away with a 15-5 victory.
HORNETTES ladies rugby team travelled the short distance up the M5 to Gordano to take on the newly-formed Gordano ladies in a friendly.
Conditions were not great and for the first 10 minutes of the game neither side made much impact with plenty of knock-ons and panic passing.
Hornets began to focus on their game and with great interplay by forwards and backs, Kerianne Williams picked up from a ruck and sprinted around the defence to score just wide of the posts. Emma Small missed the conversion.
The inexperience of some of the Gordano players began to show and Hornettes took advantage and began to dominate in the scrums and line-outs.
You may also want to watch:
It wasn’t long before the visitors were back in the hosts’ 22 and outside centre Kim Hixson took the ball at pace and raced over the try line. Small missed the conversion.
Gordano came back strongly in the second half and worked hard in attack and managed to break the Hornettes’ defence to score out wide. The conversion was missed.
- 1 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 2 Weston couple awarded British Empire Medal for supporting others in pandemic
- 3 Royal Mail reviewing town sorting office closure
- 4 Appeal to find missing teenager Ruben
- 5 Majority of Covid cases in North Somerset caused by Delta variant
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 8 Somerset has best Covid vaccine rate for both doses
- 9 PICTURES: Clear summer skies and solar eclipse in North Somerset
- 10 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
Hornettes rallied again to play some good simple rugby which resulted in fly half M-J Jenkins out pacing the defence to score in the corner. Final score: Hornettes 15, Gordano 5.
Forward of the match: Sara Curtis; back of the match: Kim Hixson.
Any ladies aged 18 or over interested in playing rugby, please contact Jenny Cockayne on 077177 90838 for more information.