Weston Swimming Club enjoy gala success at Bridport.
FOLLOWING a strong performance in round one of the Southern Junior League, a competition for swimmers aged nine to 12 years, Weston Swimming Club faced an away gala at Bridport, Dorset, for round two.
A two-hour coach journey along windy roads is not ideal preparation for any sports person and on a sunny day, the swimmers did well to manage their excitement.
During the warm-up, it was clear that not only had Weston brought a far larger squad than any other team, but they also had more supporters. With other clubs confessing they were unable to find swimmers for their youngest age groups, Weston were proud to have a strong team representing them.
The opening set of eight relays saw Weston finish first six times, with two second places. With a further three first places in the next five races, the initial points announcement revealed that Weston had amassed 58 points, with their nearest competitors having 46.
You may also want to watch:
That gala continued in similar fashion and despite few personal best times achieved on the day, Weston finished first in 33 of the 49 races, giving a final points total of Weston 223, Swindon Dolphins 173, South Dorset Tornadoes 138, Severnside 93 and Bristol North 91.
Weston are now keenly awaiting the draw for the final on June 25.
- 1 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 2 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 3 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 4 Ed Sheeran announces huge UK tour
- 5 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 6 Number of homes in major development could be reduced as amended plans submitted
- 7 Plan to build £30million second school site approved
- 8 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 9 Fine food and drink on offer at biggest ever eat:Weston festival
- 10 North Somerset's garden waste service to resume with collections every four weeks