Weston Swimming Club enjoy gala success at Bridport.
FOLLOWING a strong performance in round one of the Southern Junior League, a competition for swimmers aged nine to 12 years, Weston Swimming Club faced an away gala at Bridport, Dorset, for round two.
A two-hour coach journey along windy roads is not ideal preparation for any sports person and on a sunny day, the swimmers did well to manage their excitement.
During the warm-up, it was clear that not only had Weston brought a far larger squad than any other team, but they also had more supporters. With other clubs confessing they were unable to find swimmers for their youngest age groups, Weston were proud to have a strong team representing them.
The opening set of eight relays saw Weston finish first six times, with two second places. With a further three first places in the next five races, the initial points announcement revealed that Weston had amassed 58 points, with their nearest competitors having 46.
You may also want to watch:
That gala continued in similar fashion and despite few personal best times achieved on the day, Weston finished first in 33 of the 49 races, giving a final points total of Weston 223, Swindon Dolphins 173, South Dorset Tornadoes 138, Severnside 93 and Bristol North 91.
Weston are now keenly awaiting the draw for the final on June 25.
- 1 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 2 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 3 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 4 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 5 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 6 175th anniversary of Weston Cricket Club book by Roger Webber to shortly be released
- 7 Cancer specialist offers tips on mental wellbeing during lockdown
- 8 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 9 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 10 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston