Gavin takes over as skipper at Weston
Weston Rugby Club have announced that Gavin Simpson is the new captain for this year’s campaign.
GAVIN Simpson will be Weston Rugby Club’s captain for the coming season in National 3 South West.
Simpson (31), who has made 144 appearances in the back row, takes over from George Sparks who has led the Seasiders for the past two terms.
Paul Redman and Steve Worrall will be joint head coaches and winger Paul Sprague will lead the United XV in the Somerset Premier Division. This team will be coached and managed by Robert Hedges, Mark Matthews and Paul Whatley.
Hooker Grahame Hill will continue as captain of the Athletic XV which plays in Somerset Division 2 (North) with James Reid as coach and Phil Hancock as the team’s manager. Former fly-half Simon Godfrey takes over as chairman of rugby.
You may also want to watch:
On the admin side, Tony Russell has vacated his nine year stint as secretary to become the club’s chairman with Rob Solomon taking the secretary post.
Training for 2012/13 has now commenced and the club will be holding trial matches at the Recreation Ground against Old Redcliffians on August 11 (3pm), Clevedon on the 25th (2.30pm) and against Bridgwater on the 23rd at 6.30pm.
- 1 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 2 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 3 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 4 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 5 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 6 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 7 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 8 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 9 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 10 New leadership team for charity
Weston United will entertain Winscombe in a trial match on August 22 at 6.30pm.