Gavin takes over as skipper at Weston
Weston Rugby Club have announced that Gavin Simpson is the new captain for this year’s campaign.
GAVIN Simpson will be Weston Rugby Club’s captain for the coming season in National 3 South West.
Simpson (31), who has made 144 appearances in the back row, takes over from George Sparks who has led the Seasiders for the past two terms.
Paul Redman and Steve Worrall will be joint head coaches and winger Paul Sprague will lead the United XV in the Somerset Premier Division. This team will be coached and managed by Robert Hedges, Mark Matthews and Paul Whatley.
Hooker Grahame Hill will continue as captain of the Athletic XV which plays in Somerset Division 2 (North) with James Reid as coach and Phil Hancock as the team’s manager. Former fly-half Simon Godfrey takes over as chairman of rugby.
You may also want to watch:
On the admin side, Tony Russell has vacated his nine year stint as secretary to become the club’s chairman with Rob Solomon taking the secretary post.
Training for 2012/13 has now commenced and the club will be holding trial matches at the Recreation Ground against Old Redcliffians on August 11 (3pm), Clevedon on the 25th (2.30pm) and against Bridgwater on the 23rd at 6.30pm.
- 1 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 2 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 3 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 4 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 5 Pupil awarded new bike for attending every lesson
- 6 Pet store to relocate to new unit
- 7 Plan to build £30million second school site approved
- 8 Weston celebrates Great Big Green Week
- 9 Plans for 60 homes in village rejected after 800 objections
- 10 Weston mum thanks community after Afghan refugee donation
Weston United will entertain Winscombe in a trial match on August 22 at 6.30pm.