George picked for GB ski team
- Credit: Archant
Skier George Case, a member at Mendip Snowsports Centre in Churchill, has been selected to represent Great Britain.
AVON Ski Club, based at Mendip Snowsports Centre in Churchill, are delighted to learn that one of their trainees, George Case, has been selected to represent Great Britain in the Delancey British Under-14 team.
George has been a member of the club for seven years and regularly trains and races with the club during the summer months. During January to April, he has spent the last two seasons with the British Ski Academy in Les Houches, France.
George will continue training this winter with the BSA and at the end of January will be competing in an international competition in Andorra, racing in slalom, giant slalom and super giant slalom, against the best of Europe.
George, along with other members of the club will be competing in the Anglo-Scottish races at the beginning of January, and these races will decide what further races he will compete in.
The club as a whole have had another successful summer, currently lying third in the Summer Race League, with the youngest team in the league, and consistently putting out 20 racers per race.
The regular Tuesday night training sessions are well attended and the addition of the satellite club enables those that haven’t raced before, to come along and learn in a fun and exciting way.
- 1 Two cases of Omicron Covid variant in Somerset after PARTY, say officials
- 2 Convicted murderer to appeal against sentence - claiming media footage ‘impeded’ fair trial
- 3 Rural 12-acre plot to be developed
- 4 50 arrests made in SIX DAYS after launch of Christmas drink-driving campaign
- 5 Eight people hit with fines for public space breaches in Weston
- 6 Band to fundraise for Weston General radio station
- 7 ELECTION: By-election candidate announced by Conservatives
- 8 A38 crash leaves passenger with 'potentially life-threatening injuries'
- 9 Weston nursing home revs up for Rosa Ferrari's 100th birthday celebrations
- 10 ELECTION: Labour announce Weston Central ward candidate
Earlier in the summer, the club were honoured to have been awarded £1,000 from the Go Kids Go scheme run by the Weston Lions and in conjunction with the Weston Mercury.
They have invested the money in new race poles and race stubbies and are proud to announce they have been awarded the first-ever Snowsport England race to be held at the centre in Churchill.
They will be welcoming racers from all over the country on October 25, with start times from 3pm. Anybody interested in watching some competitive ski racing is welcome to come along and it is free to watch.