George selected for GB skiing team
- Credit: Archant
Avon Ski Club member George Case has been picked to represent Great Britain at skiing.
AVON Ski Club member George Case has been selected for the Great Britain Under-14 team, and will compete in Andorra at the end of January.
He will be racing in three disciplines, the slalom, the giant slalom, and the super giant.
George has been training with Avon Ski Club for nearly eight years and recently has been training during the winter with the British Ski Academy in France.
George has enjoyed a successful series of races in France at the Anglo Scottish competition, winning the first slalom competition over two runs by a large margin of 1.73 seconds.
You may also want to watch:
He managed to come out of his skis on the second slalom on an icy course, but recovered for the giant slalom where he came second. This was followed by two unseeded giant slalom races where George came second on both races.
The club was well represented at the Anglo Scottish races, with racers in the Under-12, 14s and 16s, some of whom were competing for the first time in this level of race, on snow.
- 1 CNM Estates purchase Birnbeck Pier with new company
- 2 Thatchers search online for cidermakers
- 3 Villagers object to 'totally inappropriate' housing proposal
- 4 More than 100 rough sleepers supported during pandemic in North Somerset
- 5 Worle opticians wins award
- 6 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 7 Man charged in connection with county lines drug dealing in Weston
- 8 Second rapid testing centre unveiled in Weston
- 9 Weston accountant sees business thrive during lockdowns
- 10 Cardiff City recall James Waite from loan spell with Weston
One young racer, Tabitha Milkins was selected as a forerunner as she was actually too young to race. Her brother Will, Sam Love, Max Schubert and Lewis Williams all had fantastic experiences, and can take this experience forward to their next competitions.
While the racing on snow for the majority of club members pauses until the English Championships at half-term, the racing on artificial surfaces back home resumes on January 17, with Avon hosting the first of this year’s winter race league events at the Mendip Snowsport Centre in Churchill.
The event starts at 3pm, and goes on until about 8pm, anyone wanting to watch is welcome to come along, enjoy the facilities at the centre and watch some exciting racing.
Regular training continues on Tuesdays from 6-8pm with our fully qualified race coaches.
For more details about the club, please contact Fraser Black on 07721 594676 of firstname.lastname@example.org