Giant killing success for Dolphin

Dolphin Athletic 4 Portishead WMC 2 - DOLPHIN entertained opposition four divisions higher than themselves in this Knockout Cup game.

Dolphin Athletic 4

Portishead WMC 2

DOLPHIN entertained opposition four divisions higher than themselves in this Knockout Cup game.

Portishead took an early lead from a freak goal, as a long ball bounced over the Dolphin keeper, and they quickly doubled their lead from a well-taken header.

You may also want to watch:

The second goal kicked Dolphin into life and they got themselves back into the game just before half time. A sweeping move down the right led to John McCabe sliding in at the near post to make the score 2-1 at the break.

Dolphin began the second half in dominant fashion, with Merry, Green and Morris bossing the game from midfield. The home side deservedly equalised when Ben Pearson ran on to a through ball and lobbed the oncoming keeper. Dolphin had the momentum, and soon found themselves in the lead through McCabe's second.

Most Read

With the score at 3-2, Portishead pushed for an equaliser, but the back four of Hagendyk, Boucher, Laing and Heady held firm, restricting the Division 2 side to few chances. When Portishead did break through, an outstanding goal-line clearance from Boucher kept the home side in the lead.

Dolphin could sense victory and when Dave Reynolds added a fourth with 10 minutes to go, the home side held firm to secure an upset. The Bristol Hotel man of the match was shared between Ben Pearson and Kev Boucher.

Hutton 4

Nailsea United A 2

DUE to bad conditions the Knockout Cup game was not very entertaining, with Hutton starting off the brighter, and took the lead on four minutes through veteran Damon Smith.

Then against run of play Nailsea drew level, but Hutton went ahead again through Thomas Patrick's well-taken goal. Nailsea soon replied by slotting away a penalty.

A few hefty words at half time by the manager changed the game to put Hutton in the next round with goals from Damon Smith and Nelly Bowen. Old Inn man of the match was Thomas Patrick.

Weston Players 3

Locking Park 6

WESTON Players can come away from this Knockout Cup game with their heads held high, for the majority of the match it was difficult to see which team was four divisions above the other.

After going behind early on, Players never dropped their heads and equalised with Mike Prior knocking the ball down from a corner to Mark Ashmore who fired home and they took a half-time lead after a fine run from Christian Smith ended up at the feet of Dan Riddle who scored.

Despite hard work by the defence of Brown, Ashmore, Smith, Brock and Heron and some brilliant saves from keeper Miller, the second half belonged to Locking who scored five quick goals to kill the game off. The midfield of Raymond, White, Lewis, Dabbs and Prior continued to work hard but tirdness played a part with the pitch cutting up.

Smith and Riddle continued to work hard and were rewarded with a goal for Smith to make the score look a lot more respectable. Man of the match was Stuart Heron.

Nailsea United Colts 0

East Worle Res 4

BOOSTED by the inclusion of three first team players who were without a game, East Worle returned to winning ways after a frustrating month of defeats in Division 4.

The game, played on a sodden pitch, was always going to be tight and competitive. It really was too close to call with both sides sharing possession until a deft flick 20 minutes in by Smith put Hall through who finished cleanly. Again the game ebbed and flowed, Nailsea playing bright passing football were unable to break down the East defence and their efforts were frustrated further on the half hour when Griffiths caught the Colts keeper off his line with an early strike from 30 yards, which on that pitch is about half way.

The first 20 minutes of the second half really belonged to Nailsea, but the East Worle defence of Deverson, White, Board and Reames gave a great display.

East still looked a threat on the break and with 65 minutes gone Green forced his way though to hammer home a third. Nailsea pushed extra players forward and the East Worle goal led a charmed life, goal-line clearances, glaring misses and the woodwork all featured. The excellent Deverson came off for Rogers to make his debut.

Smith was sent off by the referee, but East Worle had the last word with 10 minutes to go, Josh Pearson on as a substitute for Veale scored his first goal in adult football.

His brother Connor Pearson also on as a late substitute, had a great chance but was adjudged to have been offside when he collected the ball.

Players Sports Bar man of the match was the diminutive Jaik Newbury

Worle Rangers 6

Yatton Athletic A 4

RANGERS moved up to fifth in Division 6 with a hard fought win over Yatton.

Worle dominated the first half with Jake Hannam and Jamie Ingersent linking up well and creating plenty of problems for Yatton. Great work from Ingersent allowed veteran Marc Trewern to score a rare goal to put Worle ahead.

Yatton hit back with a fine long-distance shot, but the rest of the half belonged to the home side. Dave Knight smashed in two shots from the edge of the box and Trewern powered home after a decent centre from Dave Taylor was not cleared properly. Adam Brown completed the first half route with an excellent finish to put Worle 5-1 up.

Yatton stormed back in the second half as Worle pressed the self destruct button. Three quick goals put the score at 5-4 with 20 minutes to go. It looked like Rangers might regret spurned chances from Trewern and Paul Shire until Chris McKee fired in a free kick from 25 yards to give the home side breathing space.

The introduction of Matt Wilson from the bench added strength to the defence, and a fine late save from Tom Williams ensured victory and extended Rangers' unbeaten league run to seven games.

Rangers man of the match went to Jake Hannam for another fine display in midfield.

Weston Super Seagulls 3

Wedmore Res 2

SEAGULLS battled hard for the three points in this Division 6 game. Conditions were awful but Seagulls still played some good football at times. Baz and the defence of Hester, Green, Oddy and Barron found it hard early on but as the game went on vastly improved.

Boyd, Marsh, Ferry and Beynon in midfield for the most part were dominent. Seagulls went ahead through Beynon who then made it 1 each by heading into his own net.

The introduction of Kemp, Main and Carter injected some much needed energy early in the second half. This along with Farr's constant running and tireless work rate earned him two good goals either side of a sloppy Wedmore goal.

Hewlett had a hand in both Farr's goals but for the most part seemed to be using the game as shooting practice. Man of the match went to Martin Ferry.


Knockout Cup round 1: Blagdon 2, Westend 1; Dolphin Athletic 4, Portishead WMC 2; Hutton 4, Nailsea United A 2; Tickenham United 4, Banwell Res 5; Westland United Res 0, Sparta Kewstoke 1; Weston Players 3, Locking Park 6; Winscombe Res 3, Axbridge Town 0; Yatton Athletic Res 3, KVFC 7.

Knockout Cup preliminary round: Worle Res 3, Burnham United A 5.

Division 2: Selkirk United 1, Clevedon United A 2.

Division 3: Nailsea United B 1, Congresbury Res 3; Wedmore 0, Cleeve West Town A 4.

Division 4: Berrow Res 8, Hutton Res 1; Clevedon United B 3, King Alfred Sports Centre 1; Nailsea United Colts 0, East Worle Res 4.

Division 5: Draycott Res 2, Portishead Town Colts 2; Kewstoke Lions A 1, Dynamo Dury 5; KVFC Res 6, AFC Nailsea 2.

Division 6: Axbridge Town Res 2, Dynamo Dury Res 4; Sporting Weston 5, Selkirk United Res 0; Weston Super Seagulls 3, Wedmore Res 2; Worle Rangers 6, Yatton Athletic A 4.

Fixtures for Saturday

Davis Shield round 1 (1.45pm): AFC Nailsea Res v Bournville Rovers Res (P Fowler); Axbridge Town Res v Hutton Res (W Dancer); Clevedon United B v Draycott Res (N Brown); East Worle Res v Weston St John's Sports Bar Res (M Sprague); Selkirk United Res v Kewstoke Lions Res (K Fox); Wedmore Res v Nailsea United B (D Phillips); Yatton Athletic A v Dynamo Dury Res (R Perkins).

Knockout Cup round 1 (1.45pm): Burnham United A v Draycott (K Summers).

Division 1 (2.15pm): East Worle v Churchill Club 70 Res; Milton Crusaders v Hutton (R Connelly); Nailsea United A v Nailsea Town Res (C Simmons).

Division 2 (2.15pm): Clarence Park v St George (EiG) Res; Locking Park v Selkirk United (T Major); Portishead WMC v Westland United Res (P Reynolds); Yatton Athletic Res v Clevedon United A (J Geer); Worle Res v Portishead Town B.

Division 3 (2.15pm): Winscombe A v Wedmore (S Yianni); Wrington Redhill Res v Cleeve West Town A (S Clarke).

Division 4 (2.15pm): Banwell Res v Blagdon (J Cooper); Cheddar A v Westend (L Gillam); Clevedon Dons v Nailsea United Colts (H Hendricks); King Alfred Sports Centre v South Park Rangers.

Division 5 (2.15pm): Dynamo Dury v St George (EiG) A; KVFC Res v Tickenham United (N Wakley); Portishead Town Colts v Kewstoke Lions A (O Lukins); Sparta Kewstoke v AFC Nailsea (J Billinghurst).

Division 6 (2.15pm): Dolphin Athletic v Worle Rangers (D Carstensen); St George (EiG) B v Sporting Weston (D Pinnock); Weston Super Seagulls v Weston Players (M Gavin).

Other officials to be appointed.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus