Golf professionals’ charity ride
Isle of Wedmore Golf Club professionals Nick and Carole Pope are to ride from Lands End to John O’Groats.
NICK and Carole Pope, the husband and wife golf professionals based at the Isle of Wedmore Golf Club in Wedmore, are planning the adventure of a lifetime in August.
His latest fundraising effort this time includes his wife and assistant golf professional Carole. They are both planning to cycle from Lands End to John O’Groats in aid of CLIC Sargent.
Nick is no stranger to fund-raising, he was heavily involved with the past efforts of Burnham Pool as part of the management team raising around �70,000 for Children in Need.
He also walked from his home in Burnham to Wedmore Golf Club to raise money for a defibrillating machine and also raised around �800 for Comic Relief when he offered free golf lessons in return for a donation to the charity.
You may also want to watch:
Nick said: “The reason we chose CLIC Sargent is that my father has cancer, Carole’s dad has had cancer and we also have a daughter who we hope will never be affected by the disease.”
On top of the actual ride, Nick and Carole are also organising a CLIC Sargent golf day at their home club on August 13 where all entry fees will be donated to the charity and they hope to raise around �1,000.
- 1 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 2 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 3 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 4 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 5 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 6 Appeal for Christmas gifts for elderly and isolated
- 7 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 8 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 9 Weston Town Council pledges to be an anti-racist authority
- 10 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
Neither Nick or Carole are cyclists and to complete their trip they will be riding between 60-70 miles a day over two weeks They are putting in the training miles now, riding to and from work and also going for longer rides on their day off.
Nick said: “We are extremely lucky that some of our golf suppliers have generously supported our fund-raising efforts on behalf of CLIC Sargent and have donated some fantastic items to raffle.
“I have already received a set of golf clubs (rrp �450), a Calvin Klein waterproof suit, a Lee Westwood signed golf bag and a Louis Oosthuizen signed British Open flag.”
Nick and Carole have a fund-raising page at www.justgiving.com/Nick-Carole-LETJOG where people can donate money.
If you are interested in entering a team in the golf day you can contact Nick or Carole in the Pro Shop on 01934 712452 or you can download an entry form from the club website at www.wedmoregolfclub.com