Burnham & Berrow keeps on improving
PUBLISHED: 09:24 04 July 2017
Burnham & Berrow keeps on improving on and off the course with three new tee boxes and a refurbished professional shop and indoor teaching studio.
Burnham & Berrow has always been a true test of links golf ever since the club was opened in 1890.
And in the intervening 127 years, the club has continually tried to improve both its course and facilities to keep it in the pantheon of premier links courses in the UK.
In keeping with that ethos of continual improvement, the club has just unveiled three new tee boxes to give players an ever better golfing experience.
And this has been complemented with the opening of a fully refurbished professional shop and indoor teaching studio.
Andy Birkett, course director at Bunrham & Berrow has overseen the building of the three new tees on the sixth, ninth and 11th holes, along with head greenkeeper Rich Whyman and his greenkeeping staff.
Andy said: “The ninth hole in particular needed attention because it was found that on windy days – which is usually most days here at B&B – divots from the current tee were blown on the prevailing wind on to the eighth green.
“So, we started looking at an alternative site for the tee and Richard and a team of contractors built a new one which has used soil and plants from another part of the course and transplanted them around the tee box.
“It now looks as though it has been there all the time, that is how good a job they have done. There are still a couple of little tweaks to be completed on the sixth and 11th holes but I think golfers will really notice the difference.”
The changes are a far cry from the nine-hole course first designed by Royal North Devon professional Charles Gibson in 1890. The course was extended to 18 holes in 1897 under the direction of Herbert Fowler, but the course we see today is very much the work of the illustrious golf course designer Harry Colt.
Colt also invited Dr Alistair Mackenzie, who was later to design Augusta National to give his views on the ninth and 10th holes and it was this course that saw Burnham & Berrow through the club’s boom years in the 1920s and 1930s when it built the reputation that it still holds today.