Mixed results for Worlebury's men's and ladies' teams

PUBLISHED: 12:15 18 April 2018 | UPDATED: 12:16 18 April 2018

Ken and Lauren Hanson.

Ken and Lauren Hanson.


Worlebury Golf Club ladies started the league season by winning their first match, but the seniors' team were knocked out of the SGU Scratch Singles event.

There were mixed results for Worlebury’s teams last week with the ladies winning their first league match, but the seniors getting knocked out of the SGU Scratch Singles event.

The ladies played away at Enmore and did really well in wet conditions managing to win 4-3. This was a great start to the season and they look forward to nine more matches.

Apart from the home return against Enmore, they face Wells, Minehead, Orchardleigh and Stockwood Vale home and away and will do so with confidence.

The seniors went down 3-2 to a strong Isle of Wedmore side at the neutral venue of Tall Pines. Good wins were recorded in ties one and five by John Wright (2 up) and Dave Treleaven (3&2). The middle three matches were all tightly contested with Keri Allchurch going down 2&1, Steve Taylor 3&2 and Tony Western 3&1.

Team captain Keri Allchurch hopes the experience will stand his team in good stead for the seniors’ Somerset Bowl. He has chosen the same side for the first round match against Wheathill which will be played at Wells at the end of the month.

Brian Collard had a comfortable win in the seniors’ three clubs and a putter competition. Brian used a driver, a seven wood and eight iron to help him bag 41 points. Brian Book was runner-up with 38 and Malcolm Ham third with 36.

Bob Spence and John Taylor took the lesser prizes, edging out Tim Liddeatt, Rod Gribble on countback, each player scoring 35 points.

Seniors’ captain Mike Strang took his team to Weston for their first social match of the season in what is a busy fixture calendar. All the ties were closely contested with Weston making home advantage count to record a narrow 3.5-2.5 win.

Worlebury’s winning pairs were Tony McDonald/Barry Newson and Gerry Miles/Carl Morteo, with Glyn Ager and Roger Leaver gaining a fighting half.

Mike thanked Weston for their splendid hospitality and wished them well for their forthcoming season.

After two cancellations due to snow and torrential rain, the Philpott Trophy, the culmination of the winter’s mixed golf competition, was finally played.

Lauren and Ken Hanson dominated the qualifiers and they followed this up with a good performance to take the trophy with 42 points. Sue and Merv Kinch were runners-up on 40 and Maxine and Paul Gardiner third with 39.

Former ladies’ captain Maxine Gardiner warmed up for the competition with her first hole-in-one the day before. Using a seven wood, Maxine was overjoyed to see her tee shot on the 135-yard second hole roll nicely into the cup.

Weston Golf Club saw Andrew Zanelli score his first hole-in-one on the long 16th hole.

Andrew was one of 114 players competing in the monthly medal and Blackheath Trophy qualifier. For a welcome change the day saw a good amount of sunny weather after a misty start and helped many players to put in some great scores.

Steve Teale came out on top with a net 65, also leading Division 2. Dave Bickell was second with a nett 67 just pipping Koke Adams and placing John Collins into fourth.

Joe Neary (68) and Jack Radcliffe (68) took third and fourth place behind Dave and Koke in Division 1.

Teale also won Division 2 with John Collins (67), Stephen Roberts (69) and Paul Griffiths taking the next three places.

A nail-biting first round match by the ladies competing in the Somerset County Rogers Cup was played at Mendip Spring. It was a close battle between Weston and Burnham and Berrow with final 4-3 win to Weston.

One match went to the 19th hole and the final match concluded on the last putt on the 18th. The team of Jade Cope, Glenda Latham-Creasey, Tessa Pitt, Jean Cooper, captain Zena Balcombe, Jan Bishop and Sue Garrett will play the second round at Stockwood Vale.

Lady captain Zena was once again enjoying victory, winning the Barstow Shield with foursomes partner Claire Redwood. Runners-up with the same score of 27, but losing out on countback were Pat Rowland and Pat Murray.

Weston seniors welcomed the Bristol Golf Club, but it was the visitors who enjoyed the beautiful spring day the most by winning 4.5-2.5.

The winning points for Weston were claimed by seniors’ captain Robin Webb with Ian Freeman and John Rowsell with partner Dave Reynolds with the half provided by Pete Hardaway and Mo Sweeney.

The first trophy of the season - the Derrick Wood Trophy, started in dry conditions but the day got progressively worse as steady rain set in. Just three players managed to equal par with nett 70, so it was down to countback to determine the winner.

Dave Rowland had the best back nine followed by Ron Kelley with Chris Wray third.

The ladies at Wedmore were just a couple of days ahead of the weather as they held their spring meeting and decided to abandon the usual nine-hole bowmaker which follows the main competition and just play the 18-hole Stableford.

There was a new trophy on offer though, the Webber Plate for the higher handicaps. This went to Debbie Monks who also had the best score of the day, 36 points. This put her four ahead of runner-up Marion Warren Smith with Sue Edwards a shot back in third place.

There was a close finish in Division 1 with Marlyn Jackson scoring a birdie on the last to equal Jane Hewitt’s 32 points and take the Midgley Cup on countback. Gill Jones was just a point back in third place.

Ann Dixon was in good form again, winning Division 2 and the Fry Cup with 34 points, one better than second-placed Linda Roberts with Di Midgley third on 30.

Earlier in the week, the seniors held their monthly medal with some excellent scores, particularly in Division 1 which was won by Brad Speller with a nett 67, one better than runner-up Graham Hayes with Steve Sweeting a further shot back in third.

Martin Blackmore was another player to record a nett 67, winning Division 2 by four clear shots from Philip McMahon with Jim Crick a further three shots back in third.

Bill Witter was the third player to score nett 67 and again it won him the division this time by just one shot from Roy Peck with Eddie Parlour another three shots back in third.

The seniors also made a promising start to their competitive season, winning 3-2 in the County Scratch Knockout against Worlebury.

The week finished with the last of the popular winter mixed greensomes for the year which saw Shirley Restorick and John Russell just get the better of Debbie Monks and Brian Webber on countback after both scored 36 points.

John Hale won the Brean seniors April Stableford with a score of 40 points.

In recent weeks he has regularly featured at the top end of leaderboards and the work his has put in on his game over the winter helped him to top the scorecharts this time.

His winning margin in Division 2 was a mammoth eight points from Bob Toller who could not quite to add the Stableford win to his medal success of last week. Steve Bentley took third on 30.

In Division 1, Ron Edmondson collected the spoils in the top flight. Despite bemoaning a misbehaving putter he still returned a very respectable 37 points to head home Barrie Tucker by one and end two clear of third-placed man Pete Douglas.

Linda Edmondson tasted victory for the second week running as she added the April Stableford to her recent Lady Secretary Shanker win making it an Edmondson double on the day.

She carded a superb 36 points to win by four from the exact same person she relegated to the runners-up spot seven days earlier, Lyn Bird. Chairperson Suzanne Hatfield took third and also claimed the two’s pot with her birdie at the 17th.

Matt Shaw’s Avalon League Division 3 side followed up their home victory of last week with a win in their opening away fixture of the season.

They defeated the Taunton-based side 3-2 to pick up some valuable early season league points. The second game of the weekend was a game too far for the Brean team though as they went down to a home defeat to The Mendip Golf Club.

They lost by 3.5-1.5 with debutant John Cullinan and Phil Hodgson collecting the win. Captain Shaw and another debutant Jeff Read got the half point.

Read is the early leader in the 2018 Super Series as he won the opening round with a superb 45-point return. The result saw his handicap reduced by two as he ended the day six points clear of the field with Barry Brindley and Kevin Davies heading the chasing pack on 39. Brindley had the better back nine to take second ahead of Davies.

Tony Higgins won the pro shop bogey competition as he beat the course by five. On a damp morning he headed home pro shop assistant Jordan Hills by two. Hills had threatened to topple Higgins, but a couple of late slips left him as the runner-up. Third place went to Byron Lismore on +1.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists