Steve Taylor takes over as the new captain at Worlebury

PUBLISHED: 14:37 31 January 2018

Worlebury Golf Club captains.

Worlebury Golf Club captains.


Steve Taylor took over from Andy Collard as club captain at Worlebury Golf Club, following the annual meeting.

The highlight of the week at Worlebury was the annual meeting which saw Steve Taylor take over from Andy Collard as club captain.

Andy has had a highly successful year and can be proud of his efforts. In his speech he thanked those who supported him particularly his vice-captain, Steve, his family and the wonderful Worlebury members.

Steve is ready to face the challenge and will have the full backing of everyone at the club. With Paul McAdams as his vice-captain, the club is in good hands.

Chairman Keri Allchurch, who has done a splendid job stood down after six years in the role. The club is indebted to Keri for the hard work, energy and great skill he brought to the role.

The club are delighted that Phil Stone will take over from Keri. Phil is looking forward to the year ahead and hopes to build on the solid foundations laid by Keri and his predecessors.

Club president Frank Barlow, also stands down with former captain and press officer Dougie Woods taking over the role. Frank has worked with Keri in four of the six years and they have shared a highly successful partnership.

Treasurer Graham Hewlett and chairs of the main committees, Jim Skinner, Paul Hibbard and Ron Ganfield continue in their roles and this will give the council continuity, which is important.

Martin Philp, Alan Street, Mike Strang and Ron Stevens join as committee members. With this mixture of new and old, the forthcoming year is viewed with optimism and, despite the difficult picture nationally for golf clubs, we anticipate that Worlebury will continue to move forward in 2018.

At the meeting, life membership was granted to PGA professional Gary Marks, who left the club recently, having served it admirably for 30 years.

With the business over, it was time for the traditional captains drive-in, which was administered, with great humour, by chairman of match and handicap Jim Skinner.

The club charity this year is Freewheelers Emergency Voluntary Service, who provide a free out of hours motorcycle courier service to hospitals in the South West. A large crowd gathered to see the captains who were escorted to the tee by one of the motorcycle outriders.

Ladies’ captain Lorna Macivor, hails from Nottingham and she suggested the event had a Robin Hood theme. Lorna dressed up as Maid Marion, Steve as Robin Hood, seniors’ captain Mike Strang as the sheriff and junior captain Mikey Nicholls as Friar Tuck.

Captain Steve drove his ball up the middle, much to the delight of the assembled masses. Club head steward Ginette Bright had particular cause to cheer as she won first prize in the draw to predict the final resting place of the drive with Ang Bagley and Pete Nuttall sharing second prize.

Forty-six pairs then took to the course for a shotgun start greensomes competition. The recent heavy rain combined with a strong wind made the conditions tricky and this was reflected in the scoring with the competition being won with 39 points.

Three pairs notched this score with greensomes specialists, Andy Copper and Alan Street pipping Stuart Macivor/John/Hobbs and Andy Judkin/Allen Port on countback to take the honours.

The clubhouse was full and somewhat boisterous and upbeat for Steve and Paul’s inaugural Sunday presentation, marking a great start to the year. Steve announced that £300 was raised for the captain’s charity, giving this years appeal a welcome initial boost.

The ladies held a 15-hole Stableford which was won by club champion Sue Sokol, with 31 points. Julie Stafford was runner-up with 28. Ginette Bright edged out Di Millar to take third place on countback both scoring 27.

ixed bag of weather greeted the Weston seniors for a Stableford and third round of the winter eclectic.

The early starters got the best of the conditions as rain and a strengthening wind moved in around mid-morning. Taking advantage of an early start, Steve Petrie managed to edge out Stephen Smith on countback as both players returned a creditable score of 38 points.

Roger Magor came third with 36 and again countback was needed for the next three places with Terry Holden in fourth followed by Nigel Jillings and Eddie Langford as all three recorded 35 points.

The result of the ladies’ Stableford competition and first millennium qualifier saw Susan Osman with the best score of 34 points. Pat Rowland and Jacqui Read were second and third with 32. Sue Stilwell and captain Mel Rossi both scored 31, with Sue taking fourth place on countback.

With Wedmore seniors again losing out to heavy rain, the ladies were left with the only competition last week, wisely arranging only nine-hole competitions for January.

Perhaps not so wisely given the heavy conditions, it was also arranged as a six club only competition which was a brake on scoring, particularly playing on the more difficult back nine.

In the end nobody played to their handicap with Marlyn Jackson the clear winner on 16 points. This was just a point better than Sue McDonald and Rachel Lockley with the latter just winning out on countback.

There then followed a group of players on 14 points so countback was called on again to determine the order for the last three prizes, which went to Linda Roberts, Cathy Olive and Ann Dixon in that order.

Brean golfers hit the road last weekend as the rally cars were doing the same at the Leisure Park.

They made the short trip to the Channel Course at Burnham, while the following day they ventured south to Oake Manor for the Car Rally Trophy.

Byron Lismore played some excellent golf to win Saturday’s Boycie Trophy. He carded 37 points despite not scoring on four holes in the damp and dismal conditions.

Lismore won by two in the end from ladies’ club champion Lyn Bird. Third place went to the straight-hitting Vince Ford, who was the only player to score points on every hole as he finished one clear of playing partner Graham Exton.

Late entrant Scott Lismore made his late dash to play a worthwhile one as he took fifth place with 30.

Much better weather than the previous day greeted them as they congregated at Oake Manor to contest their own Car Rally Trophy and although the course although wet in places, it played pretty well.

As always it was a blind pairs draw to decide the winners on the day conducted in the clubhouse afterwards. Four-time winner Nigel Hodges was the one everyone wanted to be drawn with considering his track record in the event.

Hodges scored a steady 35 points, but that was two points behind the best individual scores of the day. Steve Bateman and Matt Haskins both managed 37 with Bateman having the better back nine of the two and securing him the individual prize.

When the draw started, Hodges was drawn with Murray Parsons and their combined total of 71 pushed then to the head of the leaderboard. Soon after Dave Bradley (35) and John Rabbetts (36) joined them, but both pairs were ousted from top spot by Russell Shaw (36), who was drawn out with Bateman giving them an unassailable points total of 73.

After the countback, Bradley and Rabbets were awarded second with the marginally better inward total.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury