Worlebury win Somerset Bowl

PUBLISHED: 16:22 10 October 2017

The Worlebury team with club captain Andy Collard and seniors captain Barry Newson, are pictured with the coveted Somerset Bowl, which is firmly in Otterburns grasp.

The Worlebury team with club captain Andy Collard and seniors captain Barry Newson, are pictured with the coveted Somerset Bowl, which is firmly in Otterburns grasp.


Worlebury made up for the disappointment of losing last year's final and this year's seniors equivalent, by winning the Somerset Bowl at Wells, against a good Burnham & Berrow side.

The course had endured a substantial amount of overnight rain, leaving it very soft in places. Both teams were in good spirits, despite the threat of more rain, but thankfully the weather improved as the day wore on. A strong wind, however, added to the challenging conditions.

It soon became apparent this was going to be a close contest between two evenly matched teams, although Worlebury had to give a small number of shots in four of the five ties.

As the final progressed, neither side managed to gain a convincing advantage as fortunes ebbed and flowed. At the halfway stage, it was still impossible to predict the final outcome, both sides up in two with one all square.

Mark Otterburn, partnering Zac Shelford, put the first points on the board for Worlebury, edging out their tenacious opponents on the 18th. Keri Allchurch and John Melwani fought all the way, but finally succumbed 3&2, which brought Burnham level.

The performance of the day came from the youthful pairing of Ryan Jones and Lewys Charles, who had their noses in front throughout their tie, eventually winning 3&1 to restore Worlebury’s advantage.

It was left to former Somerset Bowl winning captain Mick Keen and partner Simon Dempsey, to hold their nerve to close their tie out on the 18th and bring the cup home to Worlebury for the second time in four years. Josh Freeman and Ken Hanson narrowly went down in their match to make the final score 3-2.

The two team captains, Mark Otterburn from Worlebury and Burnham & Berrow’s Mark Woods, were full of praise for their teams, both of whom had played their hearts out in a sporting contest.

Both thanked Wells for the use of the facilities, the SGU officials who organised the competition and were generous in their praise for their respective opposition.

Vice-president of the SGU Geoff Ogden, presented the trophy to the winning team.

Otterburn has been a brilliant captain leading an excellent campaign. The club has been well served by a number of players during the campaign, all of whom have played their part, with the team in the final, the mainstays.

Merv Kinch rolled back the years to top score in the seniors’ October Stableford. Merv’s 41 points gave him a comfortable win in Division 1 and a handicap reduction to boot. Frank Hopkinson was his nearest challenger with 36 points and David Mellor third with 35.

Bob Oram strolled home with 40 points to take Division 2. Rod Gribble was runner-up with 37. Michael Cerasoli took third place on countback, pipping John Sokol and David Clark, each scoring 36.

The end is in sight for seniors’ captain Barry Newson, who has had an action packed golfing year in his role. He led his troops to a fine 4.5 to 1.5 home win against Woodspring in the penultimate social match in a long season.

Good wins were recorded by Nick Ryan/Clive Mealing, Newson/Chris Nelson, Clive Rides/Peter Douel and Colin Dale/Mike Strang, with Ron Stevens and Pete Shergold getting a fighting half.

The nearest the pin prize, generously donated by Mike Strang was won by the visiting captain Paul Godfrey.

Julie Stafford won Division 1 of the ladies’ October Stableford with 33 points, narrowly seeing off Emma Bourton and Helen Clarke. Hazel Cox won Division 2 with 31 points closely followed by Angela Bagley and Sue Kinch. Gloria Roche’s 29 points saw her win Division 3 with Lorna Macivor second and Eunice McAdams third.

The Stragglers held their end of season bash and were blessed with glorious weather. The format was teams of three playing a waltzing bowmaker, the novelty of which added to the sense of enjoyment for most of the participants.

There was also an individual competition for the Clive Thomas Trophy, named and donated by the late Clive, who was a stalwart of the Stragglers section over many years.

Despite the recent heavy rain, the sunny weather saw the course presented in a magnificent condition. Perhaps fittingly, in his final year as captain, Martin Morgan led his team of Andy Judkins and Danny Saunderson to victory in the team competition.

It was a double celebration for ever present Andy, who also took the Clive Thomas Trophy on countback, edging out Dougie Woods, both scoring an excellent 41 points. A previous winner, Simon Cowgill was third with 40 points.

Nearest the pin prizes were won by Julian Brown on the second and Dougie Woods on the 12th.

Captain Morgan announced his departure after seven years at the helm and wished his vice-captain Keith Knight every success in the role. Keith in turn, thanked Martin for his hard work over the years and said he was relishing the challenge and joy of leading such a fine body of men

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists