GolfMark pays dividends at Mendip Spring
The GolfMark programme has paid dividends at Mendip Spring Golf Club.
LAST year, Mendip Spring Golf Club, Congresbury, gained the prestigious GolfMark Award, a national England Golf Development scheme that identifies and recognises junior golf facilities.
Junior tuition is a regular Saturday morning feature at Mendip Spring and the ‘Young Masters Golf’ programme of structured courses is encouraged by the club.
Recent MSGC junior successes include 16-year-old Callum Hannay winning the National Schools Championship with a one under par 36 hole score, and 18-year-old Will Poole winning the Somerset Junior Championship, with a second round of minus five.
Will is the Somerset junior captain for 2012 and has successfully represented the men’s county first team as well as being a regular second team player.
You may also want to watch:
Callum also represents the county juniors with Will and will represent the England Schools international team against Scotland in September.
Last week he played in the Macgregor Trophy under-16s competition at Trevose and, on a wet and windy day, was the only Somerset player to make the cut to go through to the final day.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 4 Appeal for Christmas gifts for elderly and isolated
- 5 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 6 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 7 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 8 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 9 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
Mendip Spring has continued to encourage junior golf by hosting a free golf day for girls in conjunction with England Golf and the Somerset Golf Partnership.
This was open to all girls aged four to 18. A skills session with Mendip Spring PGA advanced professional Robert Moss, was held in the morning, followed by nine holes of golf.
Parents looking for friendly group golf lessons for their children are invited to call Robert Moss at Mendip Spring on 07589 024398.