GolfMark pays dividends at Mendip Spring
The GolfMark programme has paid dividends at Mendip Spring Golf Club.
LAST year, Mendip Spring Golf Club, Congresbury, gained the prestigious GolfMark Award, a national England Golf Development scheme that identifies and recognises junior golf facilities.
Junior tuition is a regular Saturday morning feature at Mendip Spring and the ‘Young Masters Golf’ programme of structured courses is encouraged by the club.
Recent MSGC junior successes include 16-year-old Callum Hannay winning the National Schools Championship with a one under par 36 hole score, and 18-year-old Will Poole winning the Somerset Junior Championship, with a second round of minus five.
Will is the Somerset junior captain for 2012 and has successfully represented the men’s county first team as well as being a regular second team player.
You may also want to watch:
Callum also represents the county juniors with Will and will represent the England Schools international team against Scotland in September.
Last week he played in the Macgregor Trophy under-16s competition at Trevose and, on a wet and windy day, was the only Somerset player to make the cut to go through to the final day.
- 1 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 2 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 3 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 4 Pupil awarded new bike for attending every lesson
- 5 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 6 Pet store to relocate to new unit
- 7 Plan to build £30million second school site approved
- 8 Weston celebrates Great Big Green Week
- 9 Plans for 60 homes in village rejected after 800 objections
- 10 Weston mum thanks community after Afghan refugee donation
Mendip Spring has continued to encourage junior golf by hosting a free golf day for girls in conjunction with England Golf and the Somerset Golf Partnership.
This was open to all girls aged four to 18. A skills session with Mendip Spring PGA advanced professional Robert Moss, was held in the morning, followed by nine holes of golf.
Parents looking for friendly group golf lessons for their children are invited to call Robert Moss at Mendip Spring on 07589 024398.