Good victory for Hutton boys

JUNIOR SOCCER - HUTTON Under-13s were home to Yatton Athletic winning 2-0 in a competitive game.

HUTTON Under-13s were home to Yatton Athletic winning 2-0 in a competitive game.

Hutton took the lead early in the first half with a long-range shot from Anthony Badman. The game developed into a midfield battle with both sides trying to win possession and move forward. Yatton made some good forward moves only to come up against the tough tackling defence of Oliver Norville, Matt Jeffries and Jonathan Clarkson.

Following some good work in midfield by Leon Hele and George Garfield, Hutton went close with a free kick. Lewis Condon was sharp in goal, coming off his line quickly to deny Yatton on the break. Hutton kept moving the ball well around the field and creating chances before half time.

The second half started with Hutton attacking the Yatton half, this pressure was rewarded when Sam Matthews lost his marker and tapped in Lee Tinklin's cross. Callum Cheeseman and George Michael competed well up front, giving the Yatton defence no time to play. Hutton continued to battle with Ryan Parker and Ben Hurst tackling hard in midfield, allowing Marcus Walters to make some good attacking runs.

You may also want to watch:

The Cash Generator man of the match was Matt Jeffries

The Under-16 had an emphatic 9-2 win against local rivals Banwell in the Woodspring Junior League.

Most Read

The game was played in torrential rain and wind with credit for both sides for sticking at it. Both sides tried to play passing football by keeping the ball on the floor and what could have been a non-event actually turned out to be end-to-end stuff.

Man of the match Griffiths in centre midfield had an inspired game scoring one, new signing Williams got on the scoresheet and has brought a new dimension to Hutton's attack. Hutton's other goalscorers were Simpson (3), M Brown (2), Ash Brewer, Dan Brown.

The Under-14s entertained Yatton Athletic in the second round of the Lewin Cup in atrocious conditions and won 2-1 in a hard fought entertaining match.

Hutton started the stronger with some penetrating runs on both flanks from Hal Bickell, Ronan Britton and Jamie Commons. The midfield battle swung Hutton's way in the early stages with Josh Selwyn and George Chapman breaking up Yatton's early attempts to get into their stride and Mac Lovell soon forced the visiting keeper to make two excellent saves to keep the scores level.

The visitors gradually exerted pressure on the Hutton goal, but John Xahn, Adam Francis, Connor Sweeney and Seb Clatworthy provided a solid defensive wall in front of keeper Gabe Woods who produced a flying save to keep Yatton at bay.

The second half started under torrential rain and Yatton snatched the lead from a goalmouth scramble. Hutton dug deep and the introduction of Jamie Huggins and Adam Thompson provided fresh impetus to the attack and Thompson equalised when his cross drifted in off the crossbar.

The game was now end to end with both sides going for the win before Lovell sealed the victory, beating the Yatton keeper and covering defenders from the edge of the box. There was still time for Yatton to narrowly fail to equalise but indecision enable Hutton to smuggle the ball to safety.

The game was well refereed by Jack Lomax. RMC Security man of the match was awarded to John Xahn.

The Under-11s played away to St George and won 3-0. Again the wind and rain played its part in this game with Hutton coming out on top.

The first half was end to end with both teams looking for the first goal to settle the nerves. Charlie Walford, Hutton's keeper was in fine form along with defenders Kyle Sampson, Joe Taylor and Eli Butt who dealt with all St George threw at them.

Hutton started to settle and some hard work from the midfield of Fraser Ham, Bradley Thomas and Marios Michael, they were looking the better side. Wingers Lewis Oakes and Liam Campkin were using the width of the pitch well and some telling runs which gave Sam Smith and Tom Hayes some chances to get to beyond the St George defence.

Hutton should have taken the lead when chances fell to Smith, Hayes, Campkin and Ham, but the shooting boots were just of target. Morgan Bacon and Rhys Davies came on and played well, and on the stroke of half time Hutton had a good chance from a corner from Michael which was put into the six-yard box, but in a scramble St George managing to clear.

Hutton came out after the break the better side and started to pressurise the St George half and it paid dividends when a good through ball from Campkin let Hayes use his pace to score. Hutton still had to defend with Sampson, Butt and Taylor working hard.

More chances came to Bacon, Hayes and Smith, and some neat skills from Bacon to get away from the defence and a good cross to Campkin whose shot was blocked, but he scored from the rebound. Smith hit a post and Ham shot just wide from the rebound. Good play by Campkin who crossed for Oakes to score a good goal.

The Grand Pier man of the match was shared between Morgan Bacon and Eli Butt.

KEWSTOKE Juniors Under-16s won 2-1 against Clevedon United. Clevedon struck first when water-soaked conditions precipitated a moment of slippery defending in an otherwise dominant first-half.

Nevertheless, keeping to their game-plan and backed-up by Harvey's ball-winning, Alex White slipped a wide ball to Jake Sheldon, who neatly scored an equaliser. Soon after half-time Troy Hannam rose up to hammer Sheldon's corner beneath the keeper for 2-1.

Kewstoke should have netted more, with 12 shots off target but torrential rain certainly made it harder and possession was controlled to see out a significant victory. The manager's man of the match was Jake Sheldon, who elected James Harvey for the players' award.

The Under-14s progressed to the third round of the County Cup after defeating Clevedon United in thrilling, closely fought contest and a nervy penalty shoot-out.

Played in weather that included gusting winds, heavy rain and horizontal hail, both teams battled well and impressed with some good competitive football.

Against the run of play, Clevedon took an early lead which was quickly countered when Cameron Jones scored direct from a corner. A few minutes later Kewstoke took the lead with another Jones corner, this time headed in by captain Luke Williams.

Clevedon battled back and quickly equalised. Knowing that the wind would be against them in the second half, Kewstoke pushed into a more attack minded formation with Harry Harris and Jak Cochrane adding width to the midfield of Rob Mitchell, Loz Nelson, Williams and Ollie Grant. The back three of Ross Holder, Alex Siossios and Ed Newstead pushed further up field to put the pressure on home team's defence.

The third goal was quick in coming, a sublime run by Jones before sliding the ball past the keeper. Just before the break Harris scored his fifth of the season, hitting an unstoppable ball. .

In the second half, Clevedon quickly pulled the scores equal with two quick goals. Kewstoke looked shaky and had to dig deep to stop the home side pushing home the advantage. Mitchell led the steadying with a solid performance, and he played Jones into space who made a great run down the right before to a well positioned Kearnsie to re-take the lead.

This lead was then doubled when Nelson played a perfect through ball to Jones who completed his hat-trick. However, Clevedon were not to be beaten. In the last 10 minutes they equalised and only some inspired goalkeeping from Josh Badham kept Kewstoke in the game.

Cochrane and Kearnsie both had chances to seal the game but in the final minute a great chance fell to Harris who put the ball over the bar from just inside the six yard box.

In extra time, Cochrane scored what looked like a winner, but a Clevedon substitute scored with the final kick of the game to force penalties.

Facing their first-ever shoot-out, Kewstoke started nervously with the first two missed and the third saved. With pressure mounting, Badham pulled of a fantastic save the keep his side in the competition. Mitchell then stepped up to take a must-score kick and put the ball in the corner. With Badham making another fine save, pushing the ball on to a post, Harris took the deciding penalty and just beat the keeper to take Kewstoke into the next round.

All 12 players were awarded the Howards Group man of the match for a spirited hard fought victory in appalling conditions.

CRUSADERS Under-16s overcame the dreadful conditions to beat Nailsea Athletic 5-1. With a strong wind blowing across the Baytree pitch Crusaders soon took the initiative with strikers Jordan Coombes and Jake Fewings being prompted by Cameron Gray in the pocket.

Chances were created and on 20 minutes Crusaders scored when Coombes finished low in the corner. Crusaders looked in control at the back against a resilient Nailsea side and keeper Jordan Tucker was rarely troubled.

Nailsea broke through to score early in the second half following a neat move down the right. Crusaders back four of Shaddai Tembo, Allan MacDonald, James Leyshon and Ryan Payne remained resolute throughout the rest of the game. Midfielders Nathan Harrison and Joe Fiasella began to influence Crusaders attacks more and more and it was no surprise when Gray dribbled through on the hour and scored with a fierce shot.

Tucker produced a fine save to prevent an equaliser but was injured in the process and replaced by Luke Eckett. Tommy Bebb was introduced in midfield and made an immediate impact when he crossed for Curtis Godbeer to finish at the far post. Coombes made it 4-1 with a fiercely driven cross shot with 15 minutes left.

The energy sapping conditions saw both teams begin to tire before the end but Crusaders were able to put a skilful four-man move together down the right for Bebb to complete the scoring. The Apple Central Taxis man of the match was awarded to Jake Fewings for his tireless contribution to an excellent home win.

The Under-12s beat Clevedon United 4-2. Crusaders starting line up of keeper Sam, defence Harry, Glen, George, Ben, midfielders Matty, Lucas, Cormac, Jack, and strikers Harry and Ashley.

Crusaders started strongly and immediately put Clevedon under pressure and opened the scoring when a through ball from Matty to Tom who crossed for Ashleyto score. The pace of the game quickened as both sides worked hard to get the upper hand and Matty controlled Ashley's pass to score the second.

Clevedon returned pressure and Sam was called on to make a couple of good saves and clear the ball from his area.

The second half saw Clevedon press and they were rewarded after a goal mouth tussle for 2-1.

Lucas, Harry, Matty and Ashley worked well together and following some great team passing, a shot from Matty hit a Clevedon player for an own goal. As Clevedon pressed, Glen and George pulled off some great defensive work.

Billy came on in defence and a shuffle around allowed Harry to return to his normal position in midfield and Lucas took a well-earned rest. A pass from Matty to Ashley and then forward to Tom put Crusaders further in front, only for Clevedon to pull a goal back to end the game. Crusaders man of the match went to Matty Hansford.

The Under-14s were comfortable 7-0 winners of this second round Lewin Cup tie away to Hamilton Youth.

Playing up the hill and with a strong wind at their backs, Crusaders started the brighter, but when shots from James Lawrence and Ryan Elkins did not hit the spot it looked as if things were not going to go Crusaders way.

When Hamilton hit the crossbar Crusaders stepped up a notch and a pass from Tom Light to Joe Godfrey whose strike went in off a post to open the scoring. After this the back four of Billy Morrissey, Jack Bridgman, Callum Climo and Tom Light were seldom troubled and when called on keeper Ben Lampon handled things with ease. The second half began with substitutes Aaron Thomas and Cyrus Molton coming on and Aaron Thomas' head that assisted the second goal for James Lawrence and the third for Billy Morrissey, both from Joe Godfrey corners.

Now Crusaders looked settled and with Mike Dancer working the midfield and Mike Hosey running the left with ease, through balls came more easily and Joe Godfrey assisted James Lawrence to score the fourth.

The fifth goal came soon afterwards for Cyrus Molton and with Crusaders really enjoying themselves despite the downpour, Kieren White scored the sixth and Aaron Thomas finished the game by putting away the seventh. Mike Hosey was awarded the Formula 1st man of the match for his hard work on the left.

The Under-15s entertained Berrow at Baytree and despite the appalling conditions, they started by playing positive attacking football and were soon rewarded with a goal by Reece Macalister.

Continuing the pressure, Dan Thomas quickly added a second, but as the weather worsened, good play became difficult.

Crusaders attacked in the second half and were rewarded with goals from Matt Ingersent and Kieran Robinson for a 4-0 win. Man of the match was Dan Thomas.

PRIORY Rangers Under-9s A lost 3-1 away to Weston Crusaders A.

Both teams found it hard to create any clear chances with defences playing well and most of the play in midfield. It took an excellent tackle by Bradley Lucas, whose pass to Lewis Milkins set up Ollie Wilcox to score.

With Crusaders pushing for an equaliser a well timed tackle by Bradley in the Priory box was deemed to be a foul who awarded a penalty to the home side, but a brilliant save from keeper Ayden Chenoweth kept the score 1-0 at half time.

Crusaders started the second half on the attack but there was some good defending from Nathan Langdon and Josh Edwards. Crusaders scored from some good pressure down the left and a low shot which Ayden nearly kept out and with Priory on the attack, Crusaders broke away to take the lead.

Some great passing between Cai Williams and Lewis nearly set up Ollie only for Crusaders to break and grab their third. The man of the match was Lewis Milkins for his work in midfield.

The B team drew 2-2 away to Weston Crusaders B. Priory, playing some good football, came close from a pass from Mathew Frost to Ronnie Allen whose shot went just wide, and a pass from Ben Paterson, playing in his first game, nearly set up Dean Chrisostomou whose shot went just wide.

The defence of Will Durston and James Hodkinson had great games. The second half started with Priory pushing forward with Dean scoring after a determined run. Crusaders equalised from a corner but Priory restored their lead with a great run from Ronnie whose shot hit the post which came to Dean who crossed for Mathew to score the second, but Crusaders managed to equalise late on.

WESTON Town Under-11s played host to Backwell Wanderers, winning 5-1.

A strong start with some super football saw Weston two up within eight minutes through Lewis Chappell and Josh Baker, and a third followed shortly after from Owen Griffiths who controlled much of the attacking play.

Weston continued strongly, through hard work from Jake Eggington and Joe Rout, pushing forward and creating more chances. A second effort from Lewis Chappell put Weston 4-0 up at the break.

Backwell tried to get into the game more in the second half and had some good chances that were dealt with by Weston's defence, but when James Fewing converted Weston's fifth the game got more difficult for Backwell.

But with 10 minutes to go some good pressing led to Backwell getting a deserved consolation goal. Worle Century Club man of the match went to Josh Baker.

WORLE and Axbridge Under-9s served up a lively contest at the Queensway Ground.

Worle got their noses in front, thanks to Ryan Johnson's first of the season. The frenzied celebrations were short lived as a determined Axbridge bounced straight back with a well taken goal.

Axbridge looked capable of mounting an upset but following some good saves from their keeper, Worle edged in front again through Ben Druce. With Charlie Harvey putting in a captain's performance Worle began to take control and the victory was wrapped up by Daniel Williams with his third of the season.

Blagdon Water Gardens man of the match was Ben Druce.

CHEDDAR Under-9s B lost 8-1 to their Under-10s B as a gap in league fixtures gave these two teams a chance to see what difference a year could make.

The Under-9s started strongly with a shot from William Britt, but the Under-10s defence soon set the theme for the match with some strong defensive play, consistently thwarting the attempts of strikers James King and Fintan Carroll.

The Under-10s quickly pulled ahead, and by half time the score was 4-0 despite heroic efforts by Cameron McColm in the Under-9s goal.

The second half saw a series of Under-9s substitutions with Frank Morris, James Poynor and newcomer Alex Peake taking the field to relieve Tom Welchman, Ollie Crandon and Alistair Davies.

The speed and skill of the Under-10s started to tell into the final minutes of strong winds and heavy rain, with eight goals completing the tally for the older team. The Under-9s Lewis Frost battled hard and his team were awarded a late consolation goal as King scored off the crossbar.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter