Grizzly raced tamed by the weather
- Credit: Archant
Good weather greeted Weston Athletic Club members who made to trip to the south coast for the Grizzly race.
ACCOMPANIED by bagpipes, drummers and jelly babies, 23 Weston Athletic Club members travelled to the sunny south coast to race the infamous Grizzly (20 miles) and Cub (nine miles) multi-terrain events.
Runners negotiated streams, mud, bogs, brutal ascents and descents, as well as energy sapping stretches along shingle beaches.
All the marathon training paid off for Guy Bradford, who was the first male member to finish, storming into Seaton in 2.48.55. Second member home was Josh Harris in 3.15.55, followed by Michael Reep in 3.18.22.
First Weston female to finish and second club member overall was Phil Richards in a speedy time of 3.05.12. Sarah Styles secured second in 4.13.18 her strongest performance yet in this event.
You may also want to watch:
In the Cub event, Paul Snelling came first in 1.21.52. Long serving V60 member Paul, never ceases to amaze other club runners with his performances and he also took first place in his age category. John Oaten ran strongly to finish second in 1.21.56 with Pete Jones third in 1.36.59.
First lady home was Rachael Vincent in 1.30.32 claiming second in her age category. Carolyn Devereux and Mary Oaten took second and third in 1.38.35 and 1.40.28.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 4 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 5 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 6 North Somerset online choir to bring Christmas cheer
- 7 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 8 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 9 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
New members are always welcome at the club. Information about membership, race entries and future club events are available from www.westonac.co.uk