Gymnasts excel at world event
Four gymnasts and two coaches from Weston Aerobic Gymnastic Club and a large delegation from Great Britain competed at the world championships in Bulgaria last weekend.
WESTON Aerobic Gymnastics Club sent four gymnasts and two coaches with a large delegation from Great Britain to compete at the world championships in Bulgaria last weekend.
Head coach from the club, Debbie Saunders travelled with the delegation in her capacity as national coach. The gymnasts helped make up a 30-strong squad from other clubs, and with all four competing at this level for the first time it was excellent to see how well all the gymnasts coped with the challenges and pressure of a world championships.
With 42 countries competing, the gymnasts would have to be on top form when they walked out on the competition floor. Sadly for the age 15-17 mixed pair, Abi Butterfield and Matt Saunders, it wasn’t to be.
Matt’s injury from three weeks ago at the French Championship had not fully recovered, and although they made a brave effort, they were unable to finish their routine.
You may also want to watch:
In contrast, the age 12-14 mixed pair, Rhys Williams and Keira Landen had an excellent competition, and in the qualification round scored a personal best of 16.250 to go into finals in eighth place.
The following day, with nothing to lose, they attacked their routine, and scored another personal best of 16.900 and moved up a place, leaving them seventh in the world, a tremendous success for the youngest gymnasts on the squad.
- 1 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 2 Contemporary living in a pretty North Somerset village
- 3 Alliance Homes to deliver 40 affordable properties on Somerset housing development
- 4 New hope in third lockdown due to vaccine
- 5 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 6 Vacant care home to be transformed into seafront flats
- 7 More support needed from Government for pubs to survive
- 8 Police appeal for help to trace drug offender
- 9 Surgery's patient participation group disbanded
- 10 Mass rollout of Oxford vaccine begins in North Somerset
With changes happening in the sport, the club is now auditioning for boys who wish to join this exciting sport. Parents or guardians of boys of age 12-14 who are strong, brave and flexible with some dance ability should contact Debbie Saunders on 07779 802110.