Hampton & Richmond Borough 2-1 Weston
FOLLOWING this latest defeat, Weston were relegated from the Blue Square South League.
FOLLOWING this latest defeat, Weston were relegated from the Blue Square South League. They are 12 points adrift of third-from-bottom Lewes who also have a game in hand.
Against Hampton, they took the lead six minutes into the second half and looked to be heading for a second successive away win, but then they conceded two goals in three minutes.
The home side attacked straight from the kick-off and Weston keeper Kevin Sawyer made the first of many superb saves by denying Hampton's liveliest striker Laurence Yaku twice in quick succession in the second minute. Minutes later, Sawyer denied Ian Hodges, Dave Tarpey, Stuart Lake and Yaku again, this time with a full-length one-handed effort.
As Weston came into the game, Jake Harris tested home keeper Matt Lovett while Josh Ford, Ben Cleverley, Jermaine Clarke and Clayton Fortune all went close.
You may also want to watch:
Minutes into the second half, Sawyer denied Yaku again at the expense of a corner, but on 51 minutes Weston broke the deadlock. Fortune and Darren Mullings made space in the Hampton penalty area and Clarke bundled the ball past Lovett from close range.
Sawyer made a superb reflex save to deny Lake's point-blank volley, but Hampton equalised on 75 minutes. The home side were awarded a free kick in the Weston penalty area when Sawyer was adjudged to have picked up a back-pass. The kick was hacked into touch by Ford, but the long throw-in went over the heads of the defence for Dean Inman to score from eight yards.
- 1 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 2 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 3 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 4 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 5 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 6 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 7 Appeal for Christmas gifts for elderly and isolated
- 8 Weston Town Council pledges to be an anti-racist authority
- 9 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 10 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
Three minutes later, Craig Dundas' shot came back off a post and substitute Louis Rae-Beadle scored from the rebound.
As Weston tried to get back, Fortune forced a full-length save from Lovett, but by then Weston heads were down.