Harlequins sunk by Hannham brace
Weston Athletic defeated Bristol Harlequins thanks to a brace of tries from Hannam.
Weston Athletic 17 pts
Bristol Harlequins 7 pts
WESTON started the game in lively fashion and Harlequins were undone by a great turn of speed from Ian Cullum and quick hands and elusive running saw Hannam touch down.
Frost collected the extras and Weston defended stoutly, snuffing out every Harlequins attack. Moig tackled fiercely and Craddock, Sparks and Monelle worked tirelessly, but Harlequins scored near the posts and with the conversion brought the scores level.
You may also want to watch:
Shortly before half-time, another break out, good forward support and a quick run on the open side saw Hannam cross for his second try, also converted by Frost and gave the Athletic a 14-7 lead at the break.
The second half saw Harlequins continue to squander their share of possession and although the Athletic scrum was under huge pressure, Monelle and Hannam managed to scramble the ball away and give the Athletic backs some ball to work with.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 'Bright future' for Weston high street
- 3 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 4 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 5 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 6 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 7 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 8 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 9 175th anniversary of Weston Cricket Club book by Roger Webber to shortly be released
- 10 Weston Town Council pledges to be an anti-racist authority
Some great runs by McCarthy, Paul Cullum, Moig and particularly Jo McGrath on the left wing, kept play in the Harlequins half. Robbie Blackborow put in one particularly good scything tackle on the Quins winger and this seemed to make their heads drop.
A period of good mauling saw Quins infringe and Frost converted the penalty to take the game into the last 10 minutes with Weston 10 points clear, a lead which they kept until the end.