Hat-trick hero Lucas named player of the month
- Credit: Archant
WESTON hotshot Jamie Lucas has been named Vanarama Conference South player of the month for February.
The 19-year-old struck a stunning 11-minute hat-trick in The Seagulls’ win at Bishop’s Stortford on Saturday, with league judges saying his ‘eye-catching’ performance was ‘worthy of special recognition’.
Lucas only arrived in Weston for a second spell on loan from Bristol Rovers mid-way through the month, following the departure of Tristan Plummer, but has already begun to make an impact at the Woodspring Stadium.
The Welshman said he was ‘honoured’ to win the award, while caretaker manager Ryan Northmore added the award would be a ‘big plus’ for his striker.
Lucas said: “It’s been a weird week but a very good one, scoring the hat-trick on Saturday and getting the phone call on Tuesday.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s a surprise, but it’s a great honour and an amazing thing to win.”
Northmore, who guided The Seagulls to 10 points from their five league matches during the month, said: “I’m really pleased for Jamie to have his performances recognised by people outside of the club.
- 1 Family fundraising to create care packages for NHS nursing staff looking after their daughter
- 2 Pump track project appeals for further community support
- 3 Vacant care home to be transformed into seafront flats
- 4 Free workshops to raise awareness of seasonal affective disorder
- 5 Families urged to access free school meals in lockdown
- 6 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 7 Have your say on health services in Somerset
- 8 Ambitious West of England mass transit project motors forward
- 9 New hope in third lockdown due to vaccine
- 10 Family business raises hundreds for homeless charity
“It’s a big plus for Jamie, and the squad as a whole can take a lot of credit for being able to support him, allowing him to achieve the level of performances that he has done.”
Giving their judgement, the award panel said: “When a player scores goals it is not too surprising for the said player to catch the attention of fans and the media.
“When the player scores a hat-trick it is even more eye catching. Add to that doing it on opposition turf and then the bonus of scoring them all inside 11 minutes and from open play, that really should be worthy of special recognition.
“Added to that individual achievement away at Bishop’s Stortford, Jamie Lucas assisted his club almost single-handedly to move further away from the perils of relegation, encapsulating a very good month for the Seagulls on the field.”
? Weston are back in league action tomorrow (Saturday) when fifth-placed Havant and Waterlooville visit the Woodspring Stadium.