High-scoring victory for Winscombe girls
- Credit: Archant
Winscombe Under-15s girls defeated Caerphilly in a high-scoring encounter.
Winscombe Under-15 girls 36 pts
Caerphilly Under-15 girls 29 pts
WINSCOMBE Under-15 girls took on Caerphilly in a cross border encounter that played out as the proverbial game of two halves.
Playing 15-a-side rugby for only the second time this season, Winscombe started strongly and were soon on the scoreboard with a well-worked try for Beth Adams.
You may also want to watch:
The home team went on to dominate the first-half with Adams scoring another two tries and both Amy Godwin and Ellie Darby scoring beneath the posts. Liliana Podpadec was successful with two conversions.
Following a period of sustained pressure, Caerphilly responded with a converted score shortly before half-time after Winscombe failed to clear their lines.
- 1 Man left with 'significant facial injury' following assault in Weston
- 2 Weston's four-day Oktoberfest to begin next week
- 3 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 4 Family-run business opens new tile and paving showroom
- 5 Weston mum thanks community after Afghan refugee donation
- 6 Entries open for Christmas Cracker race on Weston beach
- 7 People encouraged to have Covid booster to protect them from virus
- 8 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 9 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 10 WIN: Tickets to UK Pink Floyd at Weston Playhouse
The second half was to be a completely different story. Caerphilly played to their strengths and kept the home team pinned in their own half for long periods.
Using their physical pack to great effect, the visitors kept their game tight and their forwards scored three unanswered tries to bring them within a score of their hosts.
Winscombe responded in style when they stole ball at a Caerphilly line-out, brought the ball inside and set Hattie Stephens free in the centre. With three defenders clinging onto her, Stephens was driven over for the score of the match, Podpadec added the conversion.
There was still time for Caerphilly to add another converted try to bring the final score to 36-29.