History of Uphill Badminton Club’s Weston Handicap Tournament
- Credit: Archant
Uphill Badminton Club spotted a gap in the local badminton scene for some mass participation tournaments in April 2014.
This became the brainchild of members Mark Edwards, Rob Morray and Paul Edwards as they set up the Weston Handicap Tournament to appeal to all ages and ability.
The experience was also key with music going all day, large wall posters, buffet table and generally encouraging a light and fun atmosphere.
The first event attracted over 40 pairs across the four meetings split over six hours and could not have gone any better.
This success prompted a follow-up in April 2015 and since then 11 more have taken place every April and September.
You may also want to watch:
The tournament has evolved in popularity with over 80 players from across the county and beyond entering every event, with the annual series the highlight of the badminton calendar.
- 1 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 2 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 3 Ed Sheeran announces huge UK tour
- 4 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 5 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 6 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 7 Plan to build £30million second school site approved
- 8 Number of homes in major development could be reduced as amended plans submitted
- 9 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 10 Fine food and drink on offer at biggest ever eat:Weston festival