Hornets canter through to the semis

HORNETS Under-15s racked up a half century of points in a superb display against Keynsham in this cup quarter-final encounter.

HORNETS Under-15s racked up a half century of points in a superb display against Keynsham in this cup quarter- final encounter.

John Xanh opened the scoring after a tense start and Francis added a second which he converted himself to make the half-time score 12-0.

In the second half, Hornets cut loose and ran in some great tries. Francis added his second, Wheeler scored a cracker after a superb pass from Nicholls. Caulfield added Hornets’ fifth try before Littlewood grabbed a quickfire double. A superb handling move involving backs and forwards saw Mehmet score Hornets’ final try.

Francis added four conversions before Keynsham scored a well-deserved consolation try making the final score 50-5.

You may also want to watch:

There were notable performances from Caulfield, Smith, Xanh and Greatbanks, but Francis was named Carbase.biz man of the match.

The Under-7s travelled to St Mary’s and played three games, plus a game against their Under-8s.

Most Read

St Mary’s started off the scoring before Hornets hit back with a try for Alex. Finley Windell, Daniel Russ and Daniel Walcot combined well to set up a try for Oscar and some fine running from Adam set up William, who passed to Max to make ground before Oliver finished the move with a fine try.

Andon caused St Mary’s defence problems with his speed and was supported well by Sam and Robson. Finley Newton showed good defensive skills and Daniel Coombes also made good ground whenever he had the ball.

Special mention to Billie-Jean on her debut, who at five, showed greater awareness and speed of foot than both her mum and dad put together.

Sam, Robson, Adam, Alex, Andon, Oscar and Daniel then stepped up to play against St Mary’s Under-8s and produced a fine display in both attack and defence against a more experienced team.

St Mary’s took an early lead, but after Bruce switched the team to a 4-2-1 formation, Hornets clawed their way back into the game and held their own against the older team.

Having taken an early lead with a try from Lawrence Pilgrim, Hornets Under-9s were unlucky not to extend the lead with Reef Morton and Pilgrim both being tackled just short of the line.

St Mary’s had several chances to level the score, but were denied by excellent tackles from Tim Morris and Tom Reed. Hornets extended their lead just before half-time when excellent rucking by Ben Cook enabled Alex Leeks to score.

In the second half, both sides found it increasingly hard to break through each others defences. However, despite excellent tackles by Leeks, Morton, Morris, David Oputu-Dawood and Reed, St Mary’s scored twice.

Having pulled a try back, St Marys went close to scoring an equaliser but were denied by Aidan McComisky and Pilgrim.

Due to the size of the St Mary’s squad a second match was played. As in the first match, Hornets started well and thought they had taken the lead, but George Steele’s try was disallowed. Both teams defended well with excellent tackles from Morris, Morton and Oputu-Dawood.

In the last move of the first half, Leeks took the ball from the scrum and went into contact. Cooke and Morris rucked over and Reed dived over the line to give Hornets the lead at half-time.

In the second half, Hornets were put under pressure by St Mary’s and despite good tackles by Morris and Reed, St Mary’s levelled the score.

In the last move of the game, St Mary’s looked as though they might grab the lead, but were denied by a knock on due to excellent pressure by Hornets.

The Under-10s travelled to St Mary’s looking to put into practise what they had learnt during a training session last week.

Hornets conceded two early tries. After that, the team started to put together some great passages of play with Tom Cattermole, Conner Hill and Thomas Howling making searing runs, allowing Lois Bird, Bradley Lucas and Charlie Fairhurst to score tries with St Mary’s responding with one more just before half-time.

From the restart, Ewan McComisky scored two identical solo tries. Next, Ethan Loveridge made a darting break out of defence before passing to Luke Collins to score.

Ayden Chenoweth took the ball at pace and crashed through many defenders for a fine try. The rucking and mauling by Kyle Godwin, Nathan Langdon and Owen Brake was outstanding, which provided quick ball for the backs to run freely.

Both Sebastian Wood and Jack Weaving played their best games for the club, producing some excellent off loads in the tackle to set up second tries for Lucas and Fairhurst.

Determined defending prevented Mitchell Hawkes and Lockie Carver-Cox from scoring tries. The final score of the game was Lucas collecting his hat-trick to make the final score 50-15.

Special mention to Rhys Clarke, who demonstrated strength and determination.

The Under-14s entertained Frampton Cotterell at home and gave a thoroughly competent display.

Although Hornets won quite convincingly, Frampton never made it easy. The Frampton pack applied a lot of pressure and it appeared that the Hornets were in for a difficult game, but the forwards dug deep and started to win a lot of ball both from the set scrums and loose play.

Outstanding in the forwards were Byron Marriott, Curtis Higgins, Scot Warman and Curtis Langdon. The Hornets scored four tries in the first half, one each to Kieran Manning, Higgins, Jacob Swain and Marriott, two were converted by Manning.

The second half continued in the same vein with the forwards again punishing a heavier pack and winning plenty of ball for Michael Long to set the threes in motion.

As a result, they scored a further four tries, one for Thomas Davidson and a further three to Swain, Manning converted two of these for a final score of 48-0.

The Under-11s took on St Mary’s Old Boys and making his debut was Michael Henry, who played very well.

Hornets played a good first game, not really allowing St Mary’s to get into the first half. Charlie made inroads towards the opposition’s try line, and had fantastic support from Jacob.

Lewis, Ieuan and Thomas worked hard in the scrum and it was Thomas who went over for the first try of the game, unfortunately it was not converted.

Hornets dominated most of this game, there were some great tackles and bursts of speed from Jake, but the opposition scored two tries which were converted as Hornets lost 5-12.

The second game was more evenly matched, though Hornets had a slight edge. Josh was fast on his feet surprising St Mary’s at times and Jack tackled well and along with Dan and Jordon, stopped St Mary’s reaching the try line.

Hornets did well in the rucks and Nick powered through the opposition, enabling Thomas to score again. In the end, St Mary’s went on to win 5-17.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter