Hornets enjoy success at Weston

Junior rugby.

Junior rugby. - Credit: Archant

Hornets’ junior teams crossed town to take on local rivals Weston at the Recreation Ground.

HORNETS Under-12s made the short trip across town to take on their closest local rivals, Weston.

Missing some crucial players, it gave the coaches the opportunity to try out some new combinations. Happily, these new combinations worked well and Hornets were dominant from the start.

Tom Cattermole opened the scoring in broken play with a mazy 40 yard run and this signalled an avalanche of tries. Oscar Browne was next, the first of his four touchdowns and these were bookended by splendid tries by Charlie Fairhurst and Luke Collins (2).

Man of the match was Oscar Browne.

You may also want to watch:

The Under-11s made the short trip to Drove Road to play local rivals Weston. It was agreed to play one game of 20 minutes each way, rather than two shorter games and this made for a better overall game.

There were plenty of big hits from both sides with new boys Robin Crundwell and Tyler Patton in the thick of the action. As always, Lloyd Chudley and Harry McFarling played big parts in the rucks, but Hornets did not make full use of the wingers.

Most Read

Eventually, Weston broke through to score and this was converted to lead 7-0 at half-time. Further big tackles were put in by Tom Biggs, Keelan Hodges-Swales and Lawrence Pilgrim, but Weston scored a further two tries, one of which was converted.

In the final minutes, Hornets completed a good team move with Chudley scoring in the corner. Alex Leeks converted to finished the scoring at 19-7.

The Under-7s took the short journey to play Weston, with both squads providing three teams and over 30 players each, it showed mini rugby is strong and alive in Weston.

Hornets made good use of their experience against the younger Weston squad to score some great tries, although Weston were not to be outdone with some speedy runners.

Both squads look forward to meeting each other again on Sunday as Weston come to the Nest for a tri-team tournament with Clevedon.

The Under-13s welcomed Clevedon and were looking for revenge. It wasn’t long before Nick Hitchens, backed up by the forwards, powered over to open the scoring for Hornets.

The pack taking control of the rucks mauls and scrums, allowed Hornets to attack with good passing through the hands of the backs leading to Jake Middleton scoring two quick tries, one converted by Dan Odea.

Clevedon struck back with a try before Middleton completed his first-half hat-trick with Odea converting, Hornets led 24-5 at the break.

Hornets continued their dominance in the second half with Middleton scoring under the posts to give Odea an easy conversion. Sam Forster and captain Tyler Haynes both scored after some great team work, with Odea converting one.

Middleton wrapped up Hornets’ scoring with his fifth try of the day, converted by Hitchens. Clevedon scored a late consolation try for a final score of 50-10.

Hornets man of the match was Jordan Bird.

The Under-14s welcomed two teams to a sticky Hutton Moor and took part in two close, hard-fought encounters.

First they took on a large Taunton side. The game ebbed and flowed with good breakouts by Spencer Coe, James Constable and Blake Williams in the backs, while the forwards in Liam Fitzpatrick, Jack Mohide, Brandon Robinson and Alex Francis, applied pressure at every moment

Neither side could breech the defence in the first-half and after the break, both sides had chances, but were thwarted by determined tackling.

Taunton kept applying pressure and eventually their extra size and weight proved vital when they went in for a converted try, the only score of the game.

Hornets then took on the fresh legs of Chew. Hornets began to tire in the heavy conditions, but sparkling runs by both forwards and backs kept Chew on the back foot.

Despite this, Chew opened the scoring with an opportunist try. Hornets re-grouped and got the bit between their teeth. Bryn Solomon got his forwards going and Jack Richardson and Paddy Holyday, aided by their pack, were able to get within striking distance and No 8 Holyday was credited with a great score.

Chew got another back for another score, Hornets scored again through Holyday, after good work by Thomas Cocking. Another break in midfield saw the ball kicked on by Thomas Cocking and when Bryn Solomon was about to score a penalty try was awarded for an early tackle.

Now in front and with just a couple of minutes to go, Chew got a late try to win the game 17-19.

The Under-8s visited Weston with a 17-strong squad, eager to shake of last week’s disappointing performance.

Weston could only field 10 players, but were up for two eight-a-side matches. Weston scored some great team tries, while Hornets combined strong support play with some magnificent individual runs.

The first match was edged 6-5 by Weston and the second match ended 6-6 following a breathtaking last effort by Hornets, with the scorer part propelled by the cheering crowd.

Both teams applauded each other at the final whistle, while onlookers admired a magnificent pool of future players in the Weston area.

Try scorers for Hornets: Adam, Max, Willow, Oliver (6), Maison, Louie. Three players were recognised for their contribution: Dan, Oliver and Cameron.

Full squad: Adam, Cameron, Chris, Dan, Finley, Harry, Lucas, Luke, Max, Oliver, Willow, William, Haydn, Maison, Cooper, Louie and Owen.

The Under-9s enjoyed two games against Weston, with the honours ending even. Hornets defended well throughout, with plenty of tackling from both Sams, Louis and there was some good running from James.

Hornets are showing good signs of improvement, with plenty of tackling and more passing.

Squad: Roman, Andon, Louis, Charley, Daniel C, Daniel, Rus, James, Lora, Sam, Sam M, James D, Alexander, Thomas, Olly, Jack, Finn, Lewis and Daniel M.

WESTON Under-7s played host to local rivals Hornets and each fielded three sides so there were 10 games to keep the crowds interested.

The red team won both games, led by brothers Tom and Harry Collard who were leading try scorers, while Aaron Cocking led the tagging with valuable support from Taren Haycock and Charlie Calcott.

Special mention for Kaiden Robertson, who scored the winner in their second game, his first-ever try for the club.

Meanwhile, the green team won one game but lost the other. The younger members of the team, Corey Morrisey, Finlay Simpson and Tommy Crane were magnificent in defence taking numerous tags each, while William Bamsey was great across the whole pitch with support from Joshua Weall.

Ben Donachie was the leading try scorer but nearly every player scored at some point, reflecting their excellent support play and team work.

The blue team again mixed the older and younger plays and were excellent in their tagging and support play. Sam Slingsby stood out as the leader of the team with strong running and support play, while Billy Charlton was ferocious in his tagging.

Leon Beard worked tirelessly and was rewarded with four excellent tries, while Ollie Dadds was strong in defence and in linking the play. Finally, Jack Hobbs was rewarded for his sterling efforts with the last try of the day, again his first for the club.

The Under-10s produced their best performance of the season to date as they comfortably beat their neighbours from Hutton Moor.

Matthew James squeezed over in the corner to open the scoring for Weston. Joel Briffitt added another soon after when he dashed over following a five-metre scrum and the determined James added another just before the interval.

The second half continued and Charlie Harding powered over bursting through several defenders en route to the try line. Bradley Robinson scored a fifth, bravely converting after receiving a high tackle from an opponent.

The Hornets scored at the death to salvage a consolation but it was the home team who took the plaudits as Weston won five tries to one.

The Under-11s were at home to Hornets in a highly-competitive local derby. The first quarter of the game was pretty even with the Weston forwards finally breaking the deadlock with Ky driving over for the first try.

There was strong tackling from Lewis, Billy, Ky and Dan in the Weston backs, plus some excellent running from Liam Horsnell and Taylor Kingston.

The second half started with strong attacks from Hornets again being subdued by strong tackling from Marshall and Euan. In a brilliant piece of play, Brooklyn bulldozed through to make 14-0, with Kieron slotting home his second conversion. The next try from Hayden provided reward for their relentless efforts, after excellent team play from Bailey and Joe. Hornets scored and converted just before the final whistle as Weston ran out deserved 19-7 winners.

Squad: Billy Howells, Bailey Warren, Dan Meaden, H French, Hayden Main, Joe Connolly, Jack Press, Ky Pearce, Liam Horsnell, Lewis Paterson, Marsh Hobbs, Euan Braidwood, Taylor Kingston and Brooklyn Chamberlain.

Man of the match Ky Pearce.

The Under-8s welcomed Hornets, who opened the scoring closely followed by Weston and that is how both matches continued.

It was nip and tuck with both teams showing pace and determination to score. Weston showed how much they have improved with some great passages of play, continuing to pass the ball and executing some great tagging.

The first game finished 6-5 to Weston with excellent tries from Ben Crook and Lewis Potter scoring his first for the club, plus two each for William Crane and George Nuttycombe.

In the second game, Weston got off to a flying start and once again both teams showed pace and some excellent skills.

Weston pulled out a lead, but Hornets fought back and once again there was some tremendous tagging and scores from William Crane, Jacob Simpson, Lewis Potter and two each for Ben Crook and George Nuttycombe. The game ended 7-6 to Weston

Weston Under-10s front row (from left) Charlie Harding, Alfie Calcutt, Mathew Harding, with scrum-half Joel Briffitt.

WINSCOMBE Under-14s returned to cup action against Chard and came away with a 53-6 victory.

Winscombe opened the scoring when George Marsh fed Connor Wall, who muscled his way over. Chard soon replied with a penalty to make the score 5-3. Winscombe increased their lead after good work by Jack Painter, Rory Hancock, Marsh and Hartshorne, set up Alfie Light to score.

Good work from Charlie Clough and Will Macarthur allowed George Harrison to steal over for a try. Gabe Bell and Tristan Greene won the ball for George Harrison and Light to release Joe Duran to score under the posts, making the conversion easy for Hartshorne.

Chard applied pressure and doubled their score with a penalty. Great hands by Hartshorne and Mellhuish put Light through to race in for his second try, making the half time score 27-6 to Winscombe.

More great forward work after the break provided Light the chance to power through for his hat-trick. Stig Merryfield was stopped just short of the line, but from the resulting line-out, Tristan Greene set up Harrison to score, converted by Hartshorne.

Merryfield was next to score and Connor Wall surged over the line to finish the scoring, with both tries being converted.

Special mentions must go to Charlie Clough, Sam White, Gary Harrison, Tom Mellhuish and Joe Hartshorne.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus