Hornets get back to winning ways

Hornets get back to winning ways with a bonus point win at home to Gordon League.

HORNETS got back to winning ways this week as they welcomed Gordon League to Hutton Moor.

The game started well and Hornets scored early through hooker Chris Francis, crashing through the defence. The lead was extended further when Sam Lloyd-Jones kicked a penalty, taking him past 100 points for the season.

Gordon League clawed their way back in to Hornets territory and kicked a penalty to narrow the gap, but the resurgence was short lived when Matt Cornish took a quick tap penalty and showed a clean pair of heels to the defence and scored under the posts. Lloyd-Jones added the extras.

A flowing backs move from a set piece gave Jermaine Jones the chance to add to the score as he crossed for an unconverted try, just before half-time.

You may also want to watch:

The final word on the period went to Gordon League with an unconverted try and a penalty, giving a half-time score of 20-11 in Hornets’ favour.

The second half started as the first with Hornets getting an early score. Phil Hogarth was on hand to touch down at the end of a fine move that involved forwards and backs interlinking throughout.

Most Read

The remainder of the game saw no scoring as Gordon League looked to spoil play and disrupt anything that the home side tried to achieve.

The game finished 25-11 and the four tries gave Hornets a bonus point before the Christmas break. Man of the match went to Greg Speller with a further highlight coming as Adam Vaughan notched up 50 1st XV caps.

Keynsham 4ths 19 pts

Hornets 3rds 34 pts

THE 3rd XV travelled to Keynsham in their last match before the Christmas break with only 13 men.

Hornets started well when Ben Briffit crossed from a five metre scrum thanks to a well-executed back row move. Hornets doubled their lead when the pack took a scrum against the head, which allowed scrum-half Rob Owen to touch down.

Before half-time, Hornets added their third score after good work by Briffit, James Gould and Owen saw man of the match Mike Bright score his first try for the team. Keynsham responded with a converted try on the stroke of half-time, but Hornets turned around 15-7 to the good.

After the break, James Gould touched down, converted by Connolly, before Keynsham reduced the deficit with a converted try.

After an excellent break from Andy Parker, Gould was put through a gap by Connolly to score his 17th try of the season. The conversion from Owen gave Hornets some breathing space at 29-14.

In the last 10 minutes, another strike against the head allowed Lee Hutchinson to break free and score Hornets sixth try of the afternoon before Keynsham scored a late consolation try.

Mention must also be made of Keynsham for lending two players to Hornets to allow the match to go ahead.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus