Hornets Girls enjoy bruising encounter
Hornets Under-18 Girls enjoyed a comfortable victory over North Petherton, a team in their first year at this age group.
Hornets Under-18 Girls travelled to North Petherton, who appeared to have the only dry pitch in the South West.
Hornets started strongly and gained early points on the board, with a well-worked try, from a line-out taken by Lois, for Amy to zig-zag her way through the defence for a try under the posts. Amy also added the conversion.
A second try soon followed from winger Izzie. Further points came when Hornets’ front row of Phoebe, Georgia and Hannah scrummaged strongly and a pick up and carry from No 8 Natasha to touch down.
The best and final try of the first half was a team affair, with fast passing and good support play from the backs, leading to Amy’s second try and successful conversion.
You may also want to watch:
The North Petherton girls showed determination in their first year as an under-18 side. Both sides decided to mix things up a bit for the second half, by adding the experience of Hornets’ Izzie, Lois and Eleanor to the North Petherston side.
The second half saw quick hands and great passing skills from the Hornets backs - Amy, Eleni, Lillie, Hannah and Lauren, all making massive improvements with each game.
- 1 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 2 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 3 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 4 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 5 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 6 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 7 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
- 8 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 9 Puxton Park to open trampoline park, gym and segway course
- 10 Two charged with burglary and fraud
Izzie again put the burners on to score her second solo try and further tries came from Esme and Lois Bird, and Amy scored her hat-trick.
The final score really didn’t matter, but seeing the girls from both sides showing commitment and toughness in a bruising encounter was great to see, as well as amazing sportsmanship. North Petherton finished the game strongly with two well-worked and deserved tries.
The Under-18 girls are a friendly bunch, who train at Hornets on a Wednesday night at 7pm. Anyone wishing to give it a go are most welcome, any ability or experience welcome.