Hornets lose their home record

Hornets run of poor form continued when they were beaten at home in the league, the first time since April 2010.

HORNETS run of poor form continued when they were beaten at home in the league, the first time since April 2010.

Whitehall took an early lead with a penalty, but this was soon cancelled out when Sam Lloyd-Jones kicked three points in reply, before the visitors led again from a second penalty.

Hornets took the lead in the 17th minute when they spread the ball wide and Josh Partridge outstripped the defence to score the first try, which Lloyd-Jones converted. This proved to be short lived as 10 minutes later, Whitehall scored a try and recaptured the lead.

The hosts claimed the final say of the first period when Sean Kent crossed the whitewash for his sixth try of the season. The conversion was missed but Hornets took a 15-11 advantage into the break.

You may also want to watch:

Even with the introduction of Ryan Hedges, Chris Disney and Tim Coker at half-time, the pattern remained as Whitehall first closed the gap with a penalty and then scored their second try to retake the lead within the first 20 minutes.

With their backs to the wall, Hornets managed to fight back and regained the lead with 10 minutes remaining, when Disney crossed and Lloyd-Jones converted to give Hornets a 22-19 lead.

Most Read

Unfortunately, the visitors took the spoils as they scored a third try, which was converted. Whitehall held on for the final minutes and were rewarded with a 26-22 victory, only their second win of the season.

Hornets 1st XV have a free weekend this week before they take on Keynsham at home on December 3.

Winscombe 2nd XV 12 pts

Hornets 2nd XV 86 pts

The Seconds travelled to Winscombe with only 14 players and made a bright start by receiving the kick-off and new signing James Letherby danced his way through the Winscombe defence to touch down under the posts, converted by Ben Milson. Winscombe kicked off for the second time, but not learning from their first mistake an almost copycat try occurred with the same scorers. In the run-up to the try, a nasty clash of heads saw Hornets reduced to 13 players.

Led by the player-coach Milson, captain Jake Fereday, excellent tackling from Ben Cox, scrum-half Dan Tolson and Letherby, Hornets scored seven tries in the first half, with Letherby crossing six times.

After the break, tries came from Elvis (3), Greg White (3), Harry Gnash, Letherby and Fereday. A brilliant kicking display by Milson took the final score to 86-12.

Hornets skittle alley man of the match was Dan Tolson.

Hornets 3rd XV 39 pts

Old Reds 4th XV 34 pts

Hornets 3rds entertained high-flying Old Reds 4ths in their latest Somerset 3 North fixture and won a close match 39-34.

Old Reds scored three tries in the opening 20 minutes to lead 19-0 before Mark Millman set up James Gould to score.

The remainder of the half saw the two sides trade scores as both teams scored twice more before half-time, Dave Jones and Millman touching down to make the half-time score 31-15 to the visitors.

After the break, Connor Hull set up Simon Owens for the first score, who then scored again after good work from Sean Steadman. Jason Connelly’s conversion took the score to 31-27.

Old Reds forced a penalty from the kick-off to extend their lead, but good work from Connolly put Owens in the corner. With five minutes left, substitute scrum-half Charlie Carter sprinted 50 metres to score. Connolly converted to give Hornets victory by 39-34. Man of the match was Mark Millman.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus