Hornets pipped in two close games

HORNETS Under-9s travelled to Winscombe on a wet and windy day and took part in two entertaining games.

HORNETS Under-9s travelled to Winscombe on a wet and windy day and took part in two entertaining games.

In the first game, Winscombe scored four first-half tries as Hornets did not tackle well. However, Reef Morton returned after a broken arm scare and scored a first half hat-trick leaving the score at 4-3.

In the second half, some better tackling from Aiden McComisky and Reeve Bailey only allowed Winscombe to add two further tries. Hornets’ tries came from Ben Graves, his first this season and Lawrence Pilgrim in the corner, but Winscombe scraped it 6-5.

In the second game, Winscombe started brightly with two early tries but Tom Reed ran through the middle to score and Morton added to his collection by bursting through tackles to touch down.

You may also want to watch:

There was a snaking run from Alex Leeks that nearly resulted in a try and Ben Cooke was the main man in the rucks. Harry McFarling put in some solid tackles and as a result, lost his gum shield in the mud. The score was 3-2 at half-time.

There were quick scores from McComisky and Pilgrim, helped by Tim Morris, as Hornets then led 4-3, but more poor tackling saw Winscombe score two late tries and won 5-4 with the final play of the game.

Most Read

Hornets are always looking for new players and if you or your child wish to play rugby at a friendly club, please contact Andy Graves on 07780 862727 or e-mail a-graves@sky.com.

The Under-12s took the short trip to Winscombe and both sides contributed to outstanding rugby in a hard fought, physical encounter.

Hornets started well with the front row of Louie Vernacombe, new hooker Thomas Cocking and Adam Dover, putting enormous pressure on their opponents in the scrum. With the extra surge from Brandon Robinson and Jacob Parkman, the scrum was solid and, with Bryn Solomon and Paddy Holyday linking well, the pressure was maintained.

From one such scrum close to Winscombe’s line, Solomon broke and slipped the ball inside for Holyday to crash over, converted by Jordan Humphris.

From the kick off, Hornets’ backs Blake Williams, Harry Taylor and Spencer Coe passed along the line for Solomon to score, converted by Humphris. Not to be outdone, Winscombe got one back.

Wingers Keane Williams and Freddie Dolcezza were on form and Tiah Lauder looking dangerous. After more good scrummage work, the half backs linked well and Humphris barrelled over and converted his own try.

Holyday was again outstanding and scored a great individual try, converted by Williams. Matthew Balcombe showed great presence in attack and defence and good turnover ball turned pressure into points by Solomon to score, converted by Williams.

Soon after, Williams fell awkwardly and sustained a fractured collar bone in the process. This knocked Hornets off their stride and credit to Winscombe who came back at Hornets with three tries.

Hornets replied with a try by Humphris, which he converted. Winscombe scored a try on full time to make the score 42-31 to Hornets.

Special mention to Thomas Cocking and best wishes to Keane for a speedy recovery.

The Under-14s entertained Yatton and Clevedon in the second round of the Somerset Cup.

Jamie Hoare and Byron Marriott tackled well and the threes directed by Lawrence Ware were making penetrative runs, especially through Kieran Manning and Danny Bailey.

Hornets scored the first try when Gareth Brock chipped the ball over the defence, raced through and scored in the corner. Halfway through the first-half, Curtis Langdon the Hornets captain, sustained a bad shoulder injury and was replaced by Jack Wilcox.

Hornets’ second try came after Yatton conceded a penalty in their own half, the ball was then fed to Jacob Swain who scored in the corner.

The second half started with Yatton on the attack and after winning their own scrum they forced their way over the Hornets line to score under the posts, the try was converted.

From the restart, Hornets were again put under pressure, only good defensive play by Michael Doe, Thomas Chenneour and Byron prevented Yatton from running in more tries.

However, the pressure told and Hornets conceded a second try that was unconverted. Hornets then found their second wind and after continued pressure on the Yatton line, they managed to score with Brock going over for his second try to make the final score 15-12.

The Under-16s entertained Old Reds in the Somerset Cup and won 29-0.

The first try was a textbook line-out move with Lee O’Dea taking the honours. The second score came after a back row move saw Tom Whittaker give the scoring pass to Chris Beacham.

Good tackling by centres Loui and Tingle kept Old Reds in their own half and Hornets scored again when Conner Morse drove over. Simon Owens finished off the first-half scoring with a great run.

After the break, dropped passes and poor finishing kept the score down, but the try of the match was scored when Whittaker set up a maul and the pack drove 20 metres for O’Dea to touch down. Simon Owens converted two of Hornets’ tries.

Man of the match was hooker Kyle Cox.

THE conditions were miserable at Winscombe Rec for the opening round of the Somerset Cup, but Winscombe Under-14s managed to beat Wellington 48-7.

From the first scrum, it was clear Winscombe would dominate the set pieces and Tommy Parsons scored from five yards out. More power play led to a second try for the home side, with Tom Cooksey driving over.

The backs were now able to build on some stable possession, and after Josh Daly was tackled, Will Branch collected to score. Charlie Beake converted.

From the restart, some fine work from the backs allowed Branch to run the length of the pitch to score his second, and Beake’s second conversion. The first half ended with another score, fly-half Sam Rees slipping inside his man to score under the posts.

With such a large lead Winscombe were able to rest some weary legs at half-time. Jack Hodson was soon leading the first of many forward charges up the pitch. Wellington tackled well, and it was Branch who completed his hat-trick, for Brady Woods to convert. Tommy Parsons scored his second from a quickly-taken penalty.

Wellington then came back, their centre sprinted the full length of the pitch for a try. However, Winscombe immediately replied, a typical forward charge allowing Rees to score.

Wet and blustery conditions greeted Hornets Under-12s to Winscombe. The game started positively for the home side with a solid scrum against a heavier pack.

Hornets responded with two tries to lead 14-0. Winscombe responded when Tristan Greene ripped the ball out of a maul and passed to No 10 Joe Hartshorne, who broke through the defence and offloaded to George Marsh who scored.

Hornets hit back with a score of their own minutes later. Winscombe’s scrum was working well and the backs linked well to allow new player Gabs Roux-Elms to score his first try for the side. The visitors piled on the pressure and scored two more tries to lead 35-12 at the break.

After the break, forwards Sam White and Neil Mathieson drove downfield, Mathieson passed to George Harrison who then scored. Soon after Greene emerged from a maul and crossed the line for Winscombe’s fourth try.

Hornets replied soon after when they pounced on a mistake by the home side to score their only try of the half. Winscombe were not going to give up and when the forwards secured the ball from a maul, Hartshorne ran through the defence to score Winscombe’s fifth try.

Joe Duran came close with a run down the wing and forward Josh Hunt was denied in the last few seconds as Hornets won 42-31.

WESTON Under-8s played host to Old Reds and the home team were victorious in both matches.

In the first game, the Weston side were never behind and good tagging from Lottie Dadds and Matthew Shaw helped protect that lead. Two tries from Alfie Calcott and one from Jamie Edgar kept the side ahead.

It was Dylan Way who provided the greatest threat going forward and his excellent running and support play resulted in four tries, with the home side winning 7-6.

In the second game, Louis Satherely and Lottie Dadds both scored early tries and two more from well-timed runs by Lewis Underhill meant a half-time lead.

Louis Hughes and Oscar Tarry both tagged well to keep the side ahead and Bradley Robinson again showed his pace and strength with two good tries.

Man of the match Dylan Way rounded off the victory with two more tries, the home team running out 8-6 winners.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus