Hornets reach 100 points for the season

ORNETS notched up 100 league points for the season and in the process guaranteed themselves a minimum return for their efforts of a play-off spot for promotion, as third-placed Wells cannot reach this landmark.

HORNETS notched up 100 league points for the season and in the process guaranteed themselves a minimum return for their efforts of a play-off spot for promotion, as third-placed Wells cannot reach this landmark.

With the early exchanges going Midsomer Norton’s way, it was the hosts that opened the scoring on 10 minutes with a try. Hornets hit back with a penalty try, converted by Lloyd-Jones after Norton had two forwards sinbinned for collapsing a maul.

Norton were reduced to 12 men after another offence. Hornets took advantage when Matt Vaughan touched down, converted by Lloyd-Jones. With their players returning from the sin bin, Norton came back with a penalty and a converted try before half-time to lead 15-14.

Despite a half-time dressing down, Hornets came out slowly in the second half and it was again the home pack that started strongest. Hornets conceding an early try following a line-out drive. The extras were missed and Hornets were now six points down.

You may also want to watch:

Player-coach Phil Hogarth led from the front and made a break up field which led to a penalty. Lloyd-Jones took the three points to narrow the deficit. At this point Hornets offered a debut at prop to colt Alex Hawkins.

This proved to be short lived as the more experienced opponents targeted him and invoked a reaction that saw him issued with a red card after just two minutes. This proved costly as Norton extended their lead with a try.

Most Read

Lloyd-Jones replied with a penalty which lifted his side and saw them fight back. With Speller and Hogarth dominant in the line-out, Hornets mounted a classic drive which saw Sean Kent carried over for a try. Lloyd-Jones’ successful kick put Hornets into the lead for only the second time in the match.

With fellow colt Sam Holland stepping up to the plate at prop in place of Hawkins, Hornets were able to secure their own ball at the scrum and one such occasion saw a break by scrum-half Francis on the half way.

He was stopped inches short of the line and resulted in Hornets being awarded a penalty and the Norton hooker seeing yellow. Bravely Hornets opted to go for the try and the bonus point rather than an easy kick at goal.

A quick pop to Hogarth was driven on by the forwards, before being shipped out for Vinnicombe to cross in the corner. Lloyd-Jones saw the conversion hit the upright. With Hornets now seven points clear, a frantic last five minutes saw Hornets hold out to earn a bonus point victory.

Hornets will have played their Somerset Vase semi-final against Wellington, at North Petherton, last night (Wed) and will be looking forward to the visit of Tor to Hutton Moor Park on Saturday in the league. Kick-off is at 2.30pm.

Hornets 2nds 28 pts

Bristol Harlequins 0 pts

THE Seconds recorded a good win over third-placed Harlequins.

The young team led again by Hedges kept their heads and went on to win this game with relative ease.

The game started well with strong scrummaging from Hornets and powerful running from Parker at No 8, with Nettleton and Sadler offering strong support.

The pack thought they had scored following a 20 yard shove, only for Sadler to drop the ball. Hornets re-grouped and Robert broke the line to touch down.

Following some good runs and flowing rugby, tries soon came from Parker and Watson, both converted by Watson, who played well at scrum-half. Quins pressurised the Hornets line, but a wayward pass led to a 50 yard dash for Jones and Watson, with Sheridan in support.

Injuries soon led to the introduction of Hallett, Fairhurst, Disney and Burrell. Hornets were hunting for the valued bonus point in the league and good forward play from Whitford, Burrell, Hedges and Grenade led to a strong drive and try for Nettleton.

Mentions need to go to Edwards and Elvis for strong games and the Pukka Pie man of the match went to Hedges.

North Petherton III 0 pts

Hornets III 41 pts

THE Thirds took on third-placed North Petherton aiming to close in on the league title.

Within minutes of the start, good passing through the backs saw captain Damian Hewlett open the scoring. Hornets’ forwards took control and pressed hard upfield to get Sean Davidson over the whitewash for the second score. Shortly after, Dave Geddes forced his way over, both were converted by Owen.

Scrum-half Tim Coker controlled the game superbly using the forwards and the backs to get upfield, with Ian Cullum breaking the gain line, but it was Dennis Hull who finished the scoring in the first half.

After the break, Paul Brown put his body on the line to win the ball and make some hard tackles. The forwards set up a driving maul and John Cullum crashed his way over the line, converted again by Owen.

Dave Geddes got his second try of the game, followed by the final try coming from James Gould. Man of the match was Tim Coker.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus