Hornets stretch their lead at the top

Hornets v Barton Hill.

Hornets v Barton Hill. - Credit: Archant

Hornets stretched their lead at the top of the Western Counties division with victory over second-placed Barton Hill.

Hornets 41 pts

Barton Hill 19 pts

HORNETS came out on top in the clash of the top two teams in the Western Counties division.

On an excellent surface, Hornets were let out by captain Kent, who was making his 100th 1st XV appearance.

You may also want to watch:

Hornets’ forwards claimed the kick-off and the ball was moved along the back line for Cornish to be stopped just short of the line. As Bart’s looked to slow the ball, over vigorous rucking by winger Vaughan saw the referee produce his first yellow card of the afternoon with only 58 seconds on the watch.

This allowed Bart’s to relieve the pressure and they were rewarded with another penalty which was converted for the first points of the afternoon. From the restart, Hornets moved deep into Bart’s territory, a line-out steal by Speller saw him pick and go to dot down to lead 5-3. Barton soon retook the lead with another penalty for offside.

Most Read

From the restart, Hornet scored through their familiar threesome with a line-out take and drive, with Chase touching down his 26th of the season, converted by Jermaine Jones.

The home side were soon back into Bart’s half and produced a carbon copy try for Chase. Jones added the conversion for the home side to move 19-6 ahead with only 20 minutes gone, before Barton replied with another penalty.

The game was virtually killed off as a contest on the half hour when a long kick was well fielded by scrum-half Disney. He popped the ball to Speller who crossed the halfway line and gave a pass to Cornish to scorch over for Hornets’ bonus point try to give Hornets a commanding 24-9 lead at the break.

The rest of the half was played out in mid field as both sides waited for the half time breather.

After the break, Jones kicked an early penalty. After a Barton player was yellow carded, Hornets capitalised almost immediately. Good play by Speller and Disney set up Cornish to crash over, converted by Jones.

Barton Hill were next to score a try after Cornish was yellow carded. Hornets responded with a try for Jones, which he converted for a personal tally of 16 points. The visitors scored a consolation try to end the match at 41-19.

Hornets travel to Berry Hill on Saturday for what will no doubt be a competitive game as the home side beat them at home in the National cup back in January.

There are places on the players’ coach for travelling supporters wishing to go to the match. The coach will leave the club at noon, returning at 8 pm. To book a place contacts the club.

Captain Kent who notched up his 100th 1stXV appearance against Barton Hill is enjoying his second spell at the club. He joined the club in 2006 having played Colt rugby in Wales for Crosskeys. He also represented South Monmouthshire and Welsh Crawshays.

In his first spell at the club he notched up 36 appearances before moving on to Sutton & Epsom in National 3. He made some 60 plus 1st XV appearances for them and also helped them lift the Surrey Cup.

He rejoined Hornets in the 2010/11 season and has regularly filled the hooker’s berth ever since, taking on the captain’s roll at the start of the season.

Hornets 2nd XV 78 pts

Old Culverhaysians 15 pts

THE seconds dominated Old Culverhaysians, running out comprehensive 78-15 winners.

Hornets started strongly and tries soon came from Hallett, Collings and Owen, with Lloyd-Jones converting two. With Culverhaysians trying to clear their lines, Hewlett showed great speed to cross the line on two occasions, Lloyd-Jones converting one.

Hornets kept the pressure on and swift handling among the team led to Mounsdon, and Partridge crossing, with Owen scoring his second of the afternoon. Lloyd-Jones converted three to take the half-time score of 52-0.

The second half started brightly for Hornets, with Partridge scoring under the posts, Lloyd-Jones adding the extras. Old Culverhaysians replied with two tries of their own before Hedges and Carter scored, both converted by Lloyd-Jones.

Old Culverhaysians scored again before Carter scored his second of the afternoon, to make the final score 78-15 to Hornets.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus