Hornets stroll to comfortable cup victory

Hornets Under-18s enjoyed a comfortable 62-0 win over Weston in the National Cup third round.

THIS hugely anticipated Under-18 National Cup third round match between Weston and Hornets in a huge crowd to Rec.

Hornets were first to score when Hornets’ full-back Andrew Wheller was tackled on the Weston 22, swift rucking led to Ash Challenger touching down, converted by Adam Francis.

Soon after, Francis touched down after good work by Conor Littlewood and Craig Nicholls. Alex Colborne kicked the conversion. Hornets made it 21-0 when Francis scythed through to score a great try from 40 metres out, again Colborne knocked over the conversion.

Wheller scored the next try and just before the break, Sam Balkham crossed under the posts for Francis to convert for a 33-0 half-time lead.

You may also want to watch:

After the break Hornets continued to pile on the points, a blindside move from a scrum saw Littlewood send replacement wing Arthur Rousell on a long run to the line for a well-worked try that Francis converted.

Swallow Drinks man of the match Wheller added two more tries to complete his hat-trick, Rousell added a second and Colborne touched down for a final score of 62-0.

Most Read

The line-out functioned perfectly and hooker Kieran Ward was impeccable working like clockwork with Lewis Brake and Colborne. Challenger, Ben Reseigh, George Greatbanks and Joe Smith carried well, while the Hornets’ back three of Johnny Xanh, Jordy Kirk and Wheller dealt with Weston’s strong kicking game admirably.

WINSCOMBE Under-16s defeated Chew Valley 24-3 in the quarter-final of the Bristol Junior Combination Cup.

Winscombe opened the scoring through Josh Daly after good work by Sam Rees. Tom Fournier added the extras. Chew Valley replied with a penalty to finish the scoring in the first-half.

After the break, Winscombe were first to score when Fournier darted over from a five-metre scrum. Good work by Will Odhams-Good, Chris Curry and Sam Hartshorne kept the pressure on Chew Valley.

A break initiated by Robbie Wallis released Rhys Lewis to add another try. Winscombe’s final try was scored when Rees intercepted at full pace to score beneath the posts and converted Curtis Langdon.

Winscombe face Chippenham in the semi-final in a re-run of last year’s final. The other semi-final is between Clifton and Cleve.

The Under-14s travelled with a squad of over 20 players to Thornbury, losing an exciting match 33-36.

Poor tackling resulted in Thornbury scoring three unanswered tries. Winscombe replied with Joe Hartshorne scoring the visitor’s first try. He duly converted for the extra points. Hartshorne crossed again under the posts before Thornbury scored their fourth try

From the restart, Winscombe forward Jack Painter made good ground deep into the home side’s half. The driving maul was stopped five yards out and Josh Hunt picked up and dived over to score.

Winscombe were now in control in the forwards, giving the backs space to run. Tom Amer ran deep and offloaded to Hartshorne, whose clever chip over the defence landed for Sam White to score.

Thornbury replied with another try before Joe Duran showed the defence a clear pair of heels to score under the posts. Hartshorne made it four conversion kicks out of five as Winscombe finished three points short.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter