Hornets take the honours in Wales

Hornets Under-16s entered a 12-a-side tournament in Cardiff and came away as worthy winners.

HORNETS Under-16s travelled to Cardiff to take part in the St Peters 12-a-side tournament and left as champions.

With 16 teams taking part, winning this competition was always going to be tough. The first group game saw Hornets take on Cefn Fforest and come out 17-0 winners with tries from Adam Francis (2) and Adam Thompson, Francis also added a conversion.

Next up was Abergavenny and Hornets won 29-0, including a wonderful hat-trick from the outstanding Sam Balkham. Sam Lewis and Conor Davidson also crossed the whitewash and Conor Littlewood converted twice.

The final group game was against hosts St Peters, Hornets managing a narrow 7-5 victory after Littlewood converted Craig Nicholls’ equalising try. The win saw Hornets finish top of their group and safely through to the quarter-finals.

You may also want to watch:

Hornets were then handed a bye to the semi-final after neither Blaenavon or Glamorgan Wanderers fancied playing the current Somerset champions.

In their semi-final, Hornets beat a strong Pontyclun outfit 12-0, with Ryan Massey and John Xanh crossing for tries and Littlewood added a conversion.

Most Read

In the final, Hornets faced Rumney who had beaten the much fancied Caerleon in the other semi. Hornets dug deep and their fantastic spirit shone through to see them run away 24-0 winners.

Francis scored two tries and in doing so deservedly earned himself the player of the tournament trophy. Massey and Littlewood also crossed for tries and the latter also added two conversions.

Hornets squad: R Massey, B Reseigh, K Ward, A Perkins, C Hobbs, B Ong, G Greatbanks, J Caulfield, L Brake, A Thompson, J Howe, A Colborne, C Davidson, C Littlewood, C Nicholls, A Francis, J Wheeler, S Lewis, J Xanh and S Balkham.

The Under-6s will not be training at the Nest this Sunday. The squad have been invited to attend a joint training session with Nailsea and Backwell.

This is the first time the Under-6s have had a joint training session since officially forming in January. The session is planned to start at 10.30am.

Any child in Year 1 or below interested in having fun and getting muddy should check the Hornets Under-6 website for details - http://bit.ly/HornetsU6

WINSCOMBE Under 13s played their first match under the floodlights against Chew Valley.

The first five minutes were quite even, but the home side’s forwards then started to penetrate the Chew defence. Successive phases of play took them close before Joe Hartshorne broke free and scored.

Chew Valley were stunned by Hartshorne again when he took the kick-off cleanly and ran straight back at the visitors. He passed swiftly out to winger Patrick Merryfield, who cut through the defence to score under the posts. Will MacArthur converted.

Following Chew Valley possession, the Winscombe defence was impenetrable and they turned the ball over. Merryfield’s clearance kick was superb and the fast chasing Louis Yallop gathered the loose ball and passed out to the supporting Tom Amer, who scored under the posts making the conversion easy for MacArthur.

Chew started the second half the stronger side and George Harrison made a try saving tackle. He passed to winger Merryfield who ran the length of the pitch to score under the posts.

Winning a scrum on the halfway line, the ball was passed quickly out to Adam Elkins who scored Winscombe’s fifth try. A break by Merryfield saw him cross the line for the third time, but he unselfishly passed to Yallop to touch down for a final score of 40-0.

ON one of the coldest and certainly the wettest morning of the season, Yatton Under-8s hosted Cheddar and North Bristol.

Yatton started against Cheddar and both teams ran end-to-end, each responding to the other with a half-time score of Cheddar 6, Yatton 5. The second half was equally frantic, but Cheddar held their nerve and won 12-10.

Back in October it was honours even against North Bristol in the sunshine. This time the conditions were truly awful, but both teams were tied 5-5 at the break. The second half was equally impressive and could have gone either way, but in the end North Bristol edged it at 10-9.

Yatton try scorers were: Ben Clarke (3), Adam Foley (3), Tamsin Haines (3), Cameron Fogg (2), Cameron Baines, Matthew Chapman, Caleb Clarke, Joe Galey, Connor Kane, Dominic Oliver, Aaron Ralfs and Michael Sawtell.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter