Hornets victorious in battle of the colts

Weston Colts 10pts Hornet Colts 38pts

WITH the Somerset Cup being the prime target this year, Hornet Colts went into this semi-final knowing they would have a big task on their hands, partly because of the local derby effect and partly because injuries, playing commitments and suspensions meant nine key players were unavailable for selection.

With resources so stretched, Hornets were thankful for the five under 17s who joined the squad, and helped them run out comfortable 38-10 winners.

The game started with Hornets exerting early pressure and a Weston player was soon sin-binned for knocking the ball out of Chris Francis’ hand. From the resulting scrum, scrum half Reece Watson picked up and scored from five metres.

This spurred on Weston who managed to out flank the Hornets defence from long range and only a last ditch tackle by full back Jamie Richardson stopped the score.

You may also want to watch:

It was 28 minutes into the game before Hornets scored again, when strong play from the forwards resulted in Rhys Matson going over.

The next score came after good aggressive defence from Hornets allowed them to tag Weston fly half Darren Burns. From the resulting turnover, the ball eventually ended up in the hands of Matson who showed his pace to score. Jermaine Jones made it 17-3.

Most Read

In the first minute of the second half a precision quick from Hornets’ fly half Disney resulted in a Weston throw in on their own 22. The dominant Matson stole the ball and Hornets set off on a drive towards the Weston line.

Weston were adjudged to have collapsed the maul, which resulted in a second sin-binning for the Weston player, meaning his match was over. Hornets carried on from where they left off, Francis eventually claiming the try and Jones adding the extras.

Weston did not give up and after a good period of play managed to score a converted try off through their scrum half. Hornets came back with a try from Disney, converted by Jones, before scoring the final try 10 minutes from the end through Jonny Mitchell, who was playing his last game as a Colt before travelling to South America. Jones again scored the conversion, making the final score 38-10.

The man of the match award went to Rhys Matson.

The final will be played on April 30 against fierce local rivals Yatton. With a side in the semi-final for each age group from Under-14 to Under-17, it is hoped the Colts will not be the only Hornets side competing in the finals.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter