Hornets youngsters outplayed

Weston V Dings U8's

Weston V Dings U8's - Credit: Archant

Hornets Under-11s were given an exhibition of junior rugby by Winscombe in a three-way tournament at Yatton.

HORNETS Under-11s travelled to Yatton to take on the home team and also Winscombe in a three-way contest.

In the first game, Hornets played Winscombe A and as in previous games against them, Hornets lost because they were outplayed by a better side. Winscombe gave a good exhibition in how to pass the ball down the line and score tries in the corners.

Hornets defended well and held up two Winscombe attempted tries, but never really got close to scoring and lost 0-19.

In the second game against Yatton, Hornets upped their game and big tackles were put in by Tim Morris and Reeve Bailey, with Morris held up on the try line. Tries by Tom Read and two by Keelan Hodges-Swales put Hornets ahead.

You may also want to watch:

Two of the tries were converted by Bailey and Alex Leeks and despite Yatton getting a late try, Hornets won 19-7. In his first game for Hornets, Robin Crundwell had a good game and nearly scored.

The final game was against Winscombe B and by this stage there were some tired legs and they were 0-12 down at half-time.

Most Read

After the break, Hornets came to life and Hodges-Swales scored two late tries and these were both converted by Leeks and they won a remarkable game 14-12.

The Under-14s took on Bridgwater in a match played in great spirit and a close game was the result, with Bridgwater edging out Hornets by four tries to three.

Hornets started with a bang. A scrum inside Hornets’ half saw a classic heel by Thomas Cocking and with help by his props, Josh Entwistle and Liam Fitzpatrick, solid ball was provided for Paddy Holyday to pick up and run at the defence. A perfectly timed pass to Bryn Solomon saw him cross for a great try.

Bridgwater hit back with a well-worked try of their own. In a ding-dong game, Hornets worked back up field with great runs by Alex Francis, Jack Mohide and Brandon Robinson.

At another scrum five metres out, a pick up by Holyday, helped on by Bryn Turner’s run just held short, but Adam Dover was close at hand for another score. A lack of concentration allowed Bridgwater back in for another try just before half-time.

Bridgwater started the second half with a try. In another visit to Bridgwater’s 22, a penalty was awarded to Hornets. A tap move was taken on by Entwistle and recycled to Solomon, who danced his way through to the tryline for a final score of 15-28 to Bridgwater.

The Under-7s hosted Burnham and four games were played between the sides and all were closely contested, but Hornets managed to sneak the win overall with some good support play and moments of individual skill.

What was impressive to see was the squad putting into to practise the skills practised in training. With so many players playing well, it was difficult for any one player to stand out in the squad, so well done to everybody.

Despite the cold snap, the Under-8s were out in force with 17 players and a good crowd. The visitors were only nine strong, but were prepared to play three matches.

Hornets showed good defensive form, which forced six tags and turnover ball, unfortunately this was not turned into tries due to some firm officiating.

The defensive formation held firm all morning with only some great individual runs from Burnham breaking the line to score. In reply, strong support play and some great passing saw some impressive tries from a range of Hornets players.

Over the three games, the final tally was Hornets 17, Burnham 9.

Try scorers were: Harvey, Finley (3), Adam (4), Max (3), Maison, Cooper, Luke and Oliver (3).

The full squad was: Adam, Cameron, Oliver, Cooper, Daniel, Finley, Harry, Harvey, Lucas, Luke, Maison, Max, William, Haydn, Owen, Willow and Louie.

WESTON Under-11s hosted Ding’s Crusaders at home in a feisty encounter in which both teams were determined to win.

The Weston forwards dominated and the decisive try came late in the game to put the result beyond doubt for Weston. There were also tries from Kieron and big man Brookyln, with Lewis and Kieron kicking a conversion each as they won 19-14.

Man of the match was Jack Press.

The Under-13s welcomed Cotham Park for the first-ever meeting of the sides in the quarter-final of the Bristol Combination Shield.

Weston were slow out of the blocks and soon found themselves 10-0 down after a brace of tries by the giant Cotham No 8. This spurred the home side into action and soon their superb pack began to get the upper hand against their much larger opponents.

Weston scored three tries through Eddie Davies, all converted by Archie Tilsley, whose kicking was excellent throughout to move 22-10 in front. Tit for tat scores continued for the rest of the first-half, with Cotham scoring a late try to send the visitors into the break 29-22 in front.

After the break, Weston’s forwards began to turn the screw even further with props Jack Howard and George Bamsey repeatedly smashing holes in the visitor’s defence, with Howard crossing for two tries and Davies adding another three and Tilsley kicking four conversions.

Cotham were restricted to a solitary unconverted try in the second period as Weston ran out 59-34 winners. For Weston, Cosmin had his best game in a blue shirt, supported throughout by the superb home pack.

Weston now meet Clifton in the semi-final at a date to be arranged.

The Under-7s and 8s hosted Dings Crusaders and Old Reds and after a number of hard-fought games, the teams enjoyed a fair and competitive three-way competition.

WINSCOMBE Under-14s warm up for their quarter-final match in the Somerset Cup was against local team Burnham.

Both sides started cautiously and showed some good handling despite the sticky conditions, but Burnham took advantage of their dominance in the scrum and opened the scoring.

Winscombe replied when Joe Hartshorne ran the ball out and passed to Alfie Light on the halfway line. Light sprinted down the wing and crossed for Winscombe’s first try, Hartshorne adding the extras.

Winscombe nearly scored again when Light flyhacked the ball through, but he was just beaten to the race to touch down as the half finished at 7-7.

Winscombe’s large squad were all given half a game, which resulted in nine changes in the second half. Straight away the new forwards made an impact in the scrum. However, Combe conceded a penalty and Burnham’s big runners and some poor tackling resulted in a score.

The home side kept the pressure on and were rewarded with another try from a well-worked move. Winscombe battled on and continued to put pressure on Burnham and after some good play, Light crossed for his and the visitors’ second.

Combe kept the pressure on and were finally beaten by the clock, leaving the home side the winners by 12-17.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter