Hornets youngsters reach county finals

HORNETS Under-14s travelled to Winscombe for the semi-finals of the Somerset Cup and came away with a 24-17 victory.

HORNETS Under-14s travelled to Winscombe for the semi-finals of the Somerset Cup and came away with a 24-17 victory.

Hornets scored first when Josh Caufield retrieved the ball from a loose scrum, made good ground before passing the ball to Gareth Brock, who raced over to score. From the ensuing Winscombe kick-off, the ball was collected by Hornets captain Curtis Langdon, who then set the threes in motion.

The ball finished up on the wing with Jacob Swain scoring, this was converted by Kieran Manning. Winscombe hit back to score a converted try. Hornets’ next try came after they won a scrum against the head, the ball was picked up by Caulfield who crashed over, converted by Manning.

Not to be out done, Winscombe came storming back to score the last try of the first half to make it 19-12 in Hornets favour.

You may also want to watch:

The second half began with Hornets under siege and it was only a great tackle by Jamie Hoare that prevented Winscombe from scoring. Shortly after this, Winscombe missed a penalty.

Hornets replied with a Caulfield try which was unconverted. This seemed to spur Winscombe on and they scored their third unconverted try. In the last five minutes, a defensive blunder by Hornets looked sure to result in a Winscombe try, but the ball bounced off the post and was cleared.

Most Read

The Under-16s also reached the Somerset Cup final after a narrow 7-0 victory over Clevedon.

Hornets started well and were denied a score after the referee was unsighted. Then from a turnover, Louis Symiakos kicked ahead and gathered to touch down.

Clevedon replied with good pressure, but were kept out by strong defence, especially Connor Morss who was outstanding. There were further fine displays from Kyle Cox, Charlie Carter, Adam Francis and Symiakos. Man of the match was Connor Morss.

The Under-10s travelled to Taunton looking forward to a tough challenge.

Hornets opted for their usual format of having two mixed ability teams. First up was the Taunton A team. Despite some excellent defensive work and counter attacking by Conner Hill, Kyle Goodwin and Jack Weaving, Taunton ran out 2-0 winners.

In the second game, Taunton fielded their B team which was a slight mismatch. Hornets won 7-0. Sebastian Wood and Owen Brake created a solid platform up front, allowing Ethan Loveridge to move the ball quickly, letting the backs do the damage.

Tries were scored by Charlie Fairhurst (2), Rhys Clarke, Ewan McComisky, Bradley Lucas, Nathan Langdon and Lois Bird.

With time for one more half game, both teams field their strongest players. Following several minutes of cancelling each other out, Eddie Williams made the decisive break to score and put Hornets in front. Not long after Luke Collins crashed through the middle to score the second and final try of the day. Jack Weaving had an excellent all-round morning.

The Under-12s travelled to Taunton and played some outstanding rugby against a larger side and drew 7-7.

The first game started with Louie Vernacombe, Callam Tanner and Adam Dover holding their own in the scrums, while the second row of Brandon Robinson and Jack Mohide made sure the ball was secure for Paddy Holyday at No 8.

The first score came from a great line-out and quick hands by Bryn Solomon and Jordan Humphris, a switch move with Blake Williams was perfectly timed and the centre bulldozed his way to the line, converted by Humphris.

After the break, the Hornets backs were in full flow. Great hands by Freddie Dolcezza and Spencer Coe put Thomas Cocking and Harry Taylor in space to gain territory. Just before full-time Taunton got a penalty on the Hornets line and their forwards were rewarded with an equalizing try.

In the second game, Williams was again first on the score sheet, converted by Humphris. Taunton came back for a score before Hornets took control. Josh Entwistle, Jacob Parkman and Esme Bird were now on in the forwards, while Alex Francis was in at full-back.

Solomon and Humpris set up Dolcezza to force his way over for his first try of the season, converted by Humphris.

In the second half, a quick tap penalty by Humphris found Holyday and he used his strength to exploit a gap in midfield and score the decisive try, converted by Humphris. Taunton got one back on full-time, but the final score was 21-14 to Hornets.

WINSCOMBE Under-12s were celebrating the end of their time in mini rugby with a tour in Devon.

Winscombe made a good start against Paignton. Sam White emerged from the maul to score. After the kick off, the forwards continued to dominate and George Harrison crossed.

Paignton were two players short, so Neil Mathieson and Rory Hancock stepped in to help and Mathieson helped the home side score their first try. They soon added to their tally with a second.

Winscombe soon regained the upper hand with some fine runs from Louis Yallop. Harrison got his second and Joe Hartshorne produced a brilliant solo effort to cross under the posts. George Marsh and Josh Hunt both went close before the break.

At the start of the second half, Winscombe swapped the loan players around and White and Hartshorne stepped in. Paignton won a good line-out and scored Winscombe replied with a try by Mathieson.

Paignton took the lead for the first time when they scored twice. The second try was against the run of play, but Winscombe were rewarded in the dying seconds of the match when Hancock scored which levelled the match.

Well done to Will Macarthur for converting all of his kicks in this 40-40 draw.

YATTON and Cheddar Under-14s enjoyed a 40-5 victory over Weston.

No 8 James Edwards opened the scoring for Yatton, converted by Jack Edwards. Weston hit back but were thwarted by good tackling by Olly Cornish and Harry East. Edwards went over for his second try after a scrum travelled 15 yards, this was converted by Mike Gane.

Prop Tom Patch was next to score under the posts, converted by Edwards. Weston came back for a well-deserved try.

This was YAC’s wake-up call and within minutes, Edwards was assisted over the line in a great team effort for his hat-trick.

Within seconds of the restart, prop Ross Henderson (man of the match) streaked over the line leaving the opposition in his wake.

As Weston’s heads dropped and the writing was on the wall, the visitors No 8 went over for his fourth try two minutes before the end. Further conversions came from Gane and Edwards.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus