Hornettes easy to comfortable victory
- Credit: Archant
Hornettes eased to a comfortable victory over Devizes at The Nest.
HORNETTES welcomed Devizes to The Nest and recorded a comfortable 32-0 victory.
The hosts began the game trying to run the ball wide, but the Devizes team stood firm with their defence. The first score came when second row Charlotte Cooper-Cox made a powerful break close the Devizes line and offloaded to fly-half MJ Jenkins, who managed to score despite the efforts of two defenders.
Devizes replied with a period of pressure which saw their winger round the defence, until Sara Curtis made a try-saving tackle 10 metres out. Devizes continued to attack and were held up over the line by Kerianne Williams.
This spurred Hornettes into attack and they worked their way up the pitch with some sustained combined forward and back play. Devizes infringed a number of times and on each occasion Hornettes took the quick tap penalty option.
You may also want to watch:
Eventually, Williams passed to Abbey Constable, who crashed over the line from short range to take the half-time score to 10-0.
Hornettes increased their lead early in the second half when Cat John made a break drawing in defenders, offloading to Constable, who set up Cooper-Cox to run in from 30 metres to score under the posts, converted by Sara Curtis.
- 1 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 2 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 3 Ed Sheeran announces huge UK tour
- 4 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 5 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 6 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers
- 7 Fine food and drink on offer at biggest ever eat:Weston festival
- 8 Number of homes in major development could be reduced as amended plans submitted
- 9 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 10 FA Cup: Weston AFC drawn to play Dorking Wanderers in third qualifying round
Shortly after, Hornettes pressured a Devizes line-out and Emma Small poached the ball before slipping it to Williams to score from close range. The next try came when Beth Ryall, playing at inside centre, exploited a gap and scored out wide.
More Hornettes’ pressure caused Devizes to give away several penalties in quick succession. Some quick thinking from Williams saw her take a tap penalty and pass to Constable to crash over the line, taking the final score to 32-0 to Hornettes.
Anyone wishing to play for the Hornettes, please contact Emma on 07557 967257 or e-mail Emma on email@example.com