Hornettes fall short against league leaders
- Credit: Archant
Hornettes lost to league leaders Ellingham and Ringwood, despite a courageous defensive effort.
Hornettes travelled to Hampshire for their game against league leaders Ellingham and Ringwood.
The visitors started strongly when Abbey Constable took a short pass at pace and offloaded to Georgia Liddington for the first try of the game. Ellingham hit back with two tries, one converted, to take the lead.
To their credit, Hornettes regrouped and scrum-half Kerrianne Williams charged down a clearance kick over the try line for Sara Curtis to touch down, only for the referee to call play back for a knock-on.
However, continued pressure by Hornettes eventually saw Laura Clarke score in the corner, taking the half time score to 12-10.
You may also want to watch:
The second half saw Ellingham do most of the attacking and Hornettes defending resolutely. This defensive action came at a cost, with Beth Bennellick going off with a shoulder injury.
The hosts eventually broke the line to score under the posts. Hannah Powell made a number of line breaks and was unlucky not to score, while Liddington made a number of last-ditch tackles.
- 1 Fears for Weston General Hospital A&E's future after top doctor resigns
- 2 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 3 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 4 Sewage emissions report reveals Weston affected by at least 93 sewage spills in the past year
- 5 Call for action to reduce rising infection rates in secondary schools
- 6 Christmas lights display for Weston Hospicecare
- 7 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 8 Temporary traffic lights set to be installed in main road for three weeks
- 9 Cash and necklaces stolen in Weston-super-Mare burglary
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
Ellingham scored again before Powell went off injured. With the final play of the game, Hornettes drove up to the halfway line, but were intercepted and Ellingwood crossed to make the final score to 27-10.