Hornettes fall short against league leaders
- Credit: Archant
Hornettes lost to league leaders Ellingham and Ringwood, despite a courageous defensive effort.
Hornettes travelled to Hampshire for their game against league leaders Ellingham and Ringwood.
The visitors started strongly when Abbey Constable took a short pass at pace and offloaded to Georgia Liddington for the first try of the game. Ellingham hit back with two tries, one converted, to take the lead.
To their credit, Hornettes regrouped and scrum-half Kerrianne Williams charged down a clearance kick over the try line for Sara Curtis to touch down, only for the referee to call play back for a knock-on.
However, continued pressure by Hornettes eventually saw Laura Clarke score in the corner, taking the half time score to 12-10.
You may also want to watch:
The second half saw Ellingham do most of the attacking and Hornettes defending resolutely. This defensive action came at a cost, with Beth Bennellick going off with a shoulder injury.
The hosts eventually broke the line to score under the posts. Hannah Powell made a number of line breaks and was unlucky not to score, while Liddington made a number of last-ditch tackles.
- 1 Man left with 'significant facial injury' following assault in Weston
- 2 Weston's four-day Oktoberfest to begin next week
- 3 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 4 Family-run business opens new tile and paving showroom
- 5 Entries open for Christmas Cracker race on Weston beach
- 6 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 7 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 8 Last chance to share your views on proposed relocation of Weston GP practice
- 9 Hornets' Richardson doesn't take notice of results ahead of Old Centralians
- 10 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
Ellingham scored again before Powell went off injured. With the final play of the game, Hornettes drove up to the halfway line, but were intercepted and Ellingwood crossed to make the final score to 27-10.