Hornettes finish on a high note
Hornettes end their season with a comfortable victory over Westbury.
HORNETTES ladies rugby team travelled to Westbury in Wiltshire for their last game of the season to play the newly-formed Westbury Ladies and ended their season on a high with a 36-0 win.
This was Westbury’s first full contact game and after constant pressure from the visiting forwards in the hosts’ 22, fly-half M-J Jenkins broke through the defence to score the first of her hat-trick under the posts. Laura Clarke converted.
From the re-start, Hornettes took the ball back into Westbury’s half and with more good interplay between forwards and backs, Jenkins went over in the corner for her second try. Clarke only just missed the conversion.
Jenkins’ third try came not long after and was converted by Clarke. The half time score was 19-0.
You may also want to watch:
After the break, Hornettes continued with great team play allowing Kerianne Williams to weave through the defence to score.
Jenkins went off with an arm injury so Williams moved to 10 and Sara Curtis came on and Hornettes upped their game and for the last 15 minutes played some of the best rugby of the season. Full-back Lou Watson took the ball at full pace with outside centre Keri Kennedy and wing Kim Hixson in support.
- 1 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 2 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 3 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 4 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 5 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 6 Appeal for Christmas gifts for elderly and isolated
- 7 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 8 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 9 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 10 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
Watson took the ball 30 metres into the 22 for Kennedy to finish off under the posts. The final try from Hornettes was a repeat of the last one with Kennedy crossing just wide of the posts and Clarke converting for a final score of 36-0 to Hornettes.
Backs of the match were M-J Jenkins, Laura Clarke and Keri Kennedy. Forwards of the match: Jo Andrews, Kerianne Williams and Laura Hunt.
Hornettes would like to take this opportunity to thank all their sponsors for their continued support this season: Autowholesale; the Oak & Glass & CGC Coco’s Garden Care.
Any ladies 18 years or over interested in playing rugby please contact Jenny Cockayne on 077177 90838.