Hornettes lose out in the final minute
HORNETTES ladies rugby team played host to Bideford Ladies in the first of their league play-off games.
Fielding the usual squad of 20, Hornettes started well and within five minutes were on the score sheet with fly-half M-J Jenkins out pacing the opposition, running in under the posts for Julie Hill to convert.
For the next 25 minutes most of the play was in the Bideford half, with Hornettes putting pressure on the visitors’ defence, which held strong until after numerous scrums and penalties, Sophie Henley playing at No 6 with the help of the pack, dived over to score in the corner. Sara Curtis just missed the conversion.
Half-time was looming but there was time for one more try as Bideford managed to break the hosts’ defence to scamper in under the posts and convert for a half-time score of 12-7 to Hornettes.
Hornettes started the second half with more pressure in the Bideford 22 which resulted in No 8 Kristy-lee Silva barging her way through the defence to score under the posts, Hill was again successful with the conversion.
You may also want to watch:
Play became a bit scrappy as tensions ran high on both teams which resulted in a prop from each team being sin binned. Bideford managed to capitalise on this and broke away to score under the posts taking it to 19-14 to Hornettes with five minutes to play.
Hornettes picked up their game and took play back up to the visitors’ 22 only to lose possession in the vital last minute of the game, which resulted in the Bideford 15 out running Hornettes’ backs and scoring comfortably under the posts which was converted.
- 1 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 2 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 3 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers
- 4 Day of Ibiza club classics to be performed in Weston this weekend
- 5 Weston chosen as a ‘priority place’ in bid to transform the country through culture
- 6 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 7 Blue plaque installed for famous actress
- 8 Customers urged to support local pubs, restaurants and cafes to boost hospitality sector
- 9 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 10 End of busy summer with more events to look forward to
Back of the match was Kerianne Williams and the forward of the match was Sara Curtis.
Any ladies 18 years or over interested in playing rugby please contact Tanya Carver-Cox on 079323 20966 or Jenny Cockayne on 077177 90838.