Important victory for Mendip girls
- Credit: Archant
After almost three months without a game, Team Mendip Under-13s registered a fine win over Purnell Sports.
Purnell Sports Under-13s 1
Team Mendip Under-13s 3
AFTER nearly three months without a game, Team Mendip Under-13s came back from a goal down to register another important win.
Despite a strong Mendip defensive performance, Purnell got a goal with their only shot of the whole half to put them 1-0 up.
You may also want to watch:
Mendip showed great spirit to keep their heads up and try for the win in the second half. The midfield and attack of Katie Sharkey, Ellie Davies, Jodie Filer and Tia Briaris started putting passes together, resulting in an equaliser from an own goal after a good period of pressure.
Kia Bowes had to be substituted after a knock resulting in a broken wrist, but the team kept going. Sharkey made it 2-1 with a well-taken goal from a tight angle after a pass from Jodie Filer.
- 1 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 2 Family fundraising to create care packages for NHS nursing staff looking after their daughter
- 3 More support needed from Government for pubs to survive
- 4 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 5 Families urged to access free school meals in lockdown
- 6 Vacant care home to be transformed into seafront flats
- 7 New hope in third lockdown due to vaccine
- 8 Pump track project appeals for further community support
- 9 Have your say on health services in Somerset
- 10 Free workshops to raise awareness of seasonal affective disorder
Jodie Filer made it 3-1 with a hard shot after a perfect goal kick from Lauren Filer.
The defence of Hanna Pratt and Davies stayed strong under increased pressure and Olivia Russe came on to firm up the midfield and keep the lead. Lauren Filer also made a couple of great saves to keep Mendip in the game.
Team Mendip player of the match was Katie Sharkey.