Injury-time penalty earns a draw

Weston earned an unlikely draw with an injury time penalty by Ross Stearn.



WESTON were gifted an injury time penalty to extend their unbeaten Blue Square South run to three games.

This was unfortunate for visitors Sutton who controlled the game from early on, but were denied by a dogged Weston defence who were missing full-backs Jamie Price and Martin Slocombe, Pete Monks and Callum Laird taking over.

You may also want to watch:

For the first eight minutes, Sutton, who are without a league win this season, were pinned in their own half and things were looking bright for Weston, whose best chance fell to Nabi Diallo’s stinging effort on seven minutes that was beaten to safety by Sutton keeper Tom Lovelock.

But with their first attack on 10 minutes, Sutton broke the deadlock when a long pass was played out to the right for unmarked Michael Abnett who crossed for Harry Beautyman to beat Lloyd Irish from close range.

Most Read

This seemed to knock the stuffing out of Weston and they allowed Sutton to take charge. Reece Jones forced a decent save from Irish on 31 minutes and a minute later, the keeper had to go full length to deny an Abnett effort at the expense of the game’s first corner.

As Weston tried to get into the game, Dayle Grubb had a free kick punched to safety by Lovelock on 37 minutes and six minutes later, Kane Ingram had a strong effort taken by Lovelock at the second attempt. Just before the break, Abnett was just over with a strong header.

In the second half, Sutton brought on all three substitutes, with Stefan Payne causing problems to the home defence with his pace, and he fired narrowly across the home goal with Irish stranded out of position on 79 minutes. Minutes later, Payne finished an unmarked run through the defence by firing over when it looked easier to score.

With the game drifting into four minutes of added-on time, Sutton looked certain of picking up maximum points, but in defending Grubb’s free kick, skipper Jamie Stuart, signed from AFC Wimbledon to shore up the defence, felled Weston substitute Chris Young and another home substitute Ross Stearn beat Lovelock from the penalty spot.

However, that was not the last of the drama. Weston central defender Matt Villis was pushed in the back when trying to clear and handled the ball, expecting to be awarded a free kick. The referee booked Villis and awarded the kick to Sutton in a dangerous position, but Tommy Kavanah fired over to end the game.


Goals: Weston, Stearn (90+3, penalty). Sutton, Beautyman (10).

Shots on target: Weston 3, Sutton 4.

Shots off target: Weston 3, Sutton 9.

Corners: Weston 1, Sutton 2.

Offsides: Weston 0, Sutton 4.

Free kicks conceded: Weston 13, Sutton 14.

Referee: Mark Pottage (Gillingham, Dorset). Average.

Bookings: Weston, Hemmings, Ingram, Trowbridge, Villis. Sutton, McKoy, Riviere.

Attendance: 277.

Weston squad: Irish, Callum Laird, Monks, Diallo, Villis, Jamie Laird, Grubb, Trowbridge, Hemmings, Ingram (Young 82), Pepperell (Stearn 61). Subs (not used): Slocombe, Kington, McGregor.

ON Saturday, Weston make the long trip to Chelmsford in Essex, with the team coach leaving at 9am.

THE club is sad to announce the death of their chaplain, Preb Heather Williams late last week. Heather’s funeral will be held on Friday at St John’s Parish Church, Lower Church Road, at 2pm.

Not only was Heather the club’s chaplain, but she also helped on match days at the ground with fund-raising activities. Heather was also a life-long supporter of Bristol Rovers. All at the club send their deepest sympathy to husband Brian and family.

A minute’s silence was observed prior to Weston’s game with Sutton United.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus