International gold medal for Rhys
Weston Aerobic Gymnastic Club members brought home medals from the recent Slovakian Open Championships.
WESTON Aerobic Gymnastic Club achieved yet more international success at the recent Slovakian Open Championships.
With the Bulgarian and Hungarian national squad out in force, including several world championship medallists, any podium places would be hard-earned.
The 10-strong squad from the club comprised several seasoned internationals and newcomers to the international scene.
All the gymnasts exceeded expectations and a specially-formed trio for the competition of Ella Milford, Emily Antoine and Amelia Barratt, pleased the coaches by performing to the best of their abilities. Kirsty Harvey became the club’s first senior international competitor with a technically clean routine.
You may also want to watch:
The honour of bringing home the trophies for the club again went to Matt Saunders, Abi Butterfield, Rhys Williams and Keira Landen. Matt and Abi were up against strong competition and had to hold back the adrenaline to ensure a clean routine and the bronze medal in the age 12-14 pairs.
The younger age silver went to Rhys Williams and Keira Landen. Rhys then went on to bring home the gold medal in the male individual event for age 10-11.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 4 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 5 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 6 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 7 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 8 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 9 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
Matt and Abi will now spend the next five weeks preparing to represent Great Britain at the prestigious French Open, where they will meet many of the same competitors and it is to be hoped they repeat their success.
Head coach Debbie Saunders said: “Weston Aerobic Gymnastics combines top class international gymnastics with a great family atmosphere, the skills, talents and dedication of the coaches is paramount to achieving this.”