International golf for Weston pair
GYMNASTICS - AT the American National Championships held in Las Vegas, over 13 countries competed, including huge teams from Japan and Korea.
AT the American National Championships held in Las Vegas, over 13 countries competed, including huge teams from Japan and Korea.
Weston Aerobic Gymnastics Club again produced two international champions. 12-year-old Matt Saunders and his partner Abi Butterfield flew into the finals in first place, meaning they competed last in the finals two days later, a nailbiting wait for their score to come up was followed with jubilation when it was realised they had held on to first place and were again international gold medalists.
With this being their first year in this age group, the goal they were set was finals, so for the coaches to be able to watch them on the podium with the national anthem playing was more than a suitable reward for the hard work and effort. Fellow team-mate Trina Rose, competing in the 15-17 female individuals, was delighted to qualify for her first-ever international final going through in 13th place, meaning she was early to compete in her finals. Trina then produced her best competition score ever and came a credible sixth place.
Trina also competed with her trio, Flora Lacy and Olivia Owen, who although producing a good routine at this high level of competition, just missed out on a place in the finals.
You may also want to watch:
The success of the Weston gymnasts is testament to the hard work put in by coaches and gymnasts, and the fantastic support from all the parents at the club.
- 1 Fears for Weston General Hospital A&E's future after top doctor resigns
- 2 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 3 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 4 Sewage emissions report reveals Weston affected by at least 93 sewage spills in the past year
- 5 Call for action to reduce rising infection rates in secondary schools
- 6 Christmas lights display for Weston Hospicecare
- 7 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 8 Temporary traffic lights set to be installed in main road for three weeks
- 9 Cash and necklaces stolen in Weston-super-Mare burglary
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences