Jack Trego debut for Weston a "proud moment for the family"
- Credit: Sam Trego
Weston head coach Sam Trego said the debut of Jack Trego was a “proud moment for the family” after the 15-year-old was named in the starting 11 against Frome.
Jack lined up alongside his cousin Davis and uncle Peter on Saturday, the first time all three have played together in the first team.
“It was a proud moment for the family,” said Sam.
“They are both young lads who are finding their own way at a very high level of club cricket and if anything it’s a fantastic learning curve for all the young players that play in the first team and in the long run our club will prosper from this.”
Jake Richards had made his debut for the club at Bristol the week before and the teenagers are the latest in line to come through the academy to play for the first team.
You may also want to watch:
Trego admitted there are more exciting players coming through the system, adding: “I could name so many young players who we are keeping a close eye on and making sure they are progressing correctly through the youth ranks and the senior ranks.
“There’s a lot of excitement around when you see 15-year-olds making a first-team debut but we need to make sure they are guided in the right way and are in and around our first team squad for many years to come.
- 1 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 2 Beauty spot damaged as visitors use nature reserve as toilet
- 3 Music acts to perform next to Weston's Birnbeck Pier
- 4 Beautiful three-bedroom penthouse, with panoramic views over Weston
- 5 Covid-19: Number of Delta variant cases in North Somerset
- 6 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 7 Somerset votes for two unitaries instead of one by clear margin in poll
- 8 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
- 9 New date for Trucks at the Beach announced
- 10 £1m funding bid to make Weston police station redevelopment viable
“As I’ve coached all these young players over the past six/seven years it’s just great to see all of them progressing in the right way and they will all become fine young cricketers.”